Computer Help forum

General discussion

laptop mouse pad

by amezdoggs / September 17, 2005 11:20 AM PDT

Hi,
I installed a new hardrive and ran windows and the whole nine yards. But for some reason my little touch mouse pad thing doesnt work on my laptop. Can you tell me whats wrong w/ it, please?
AMEZ

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: laptop mouse pad
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: laptop mouse pad
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
need more info
by linkit / September 17, 2005 11:29 AM PDT
In reply to: laptop mouse pad

Windows version?
Computer make/model?
Touchpad device name from Device Manager?

Collapse -
here
by amezdoggs / September 17, 2005 1:44 PM PDT
In reply to: need more info

XP Professional Dell Inspiron 8200

Collapse -
new driver
by linkit / September 17, 2005 2:09 PM PDT
In reply to: here

Any time you you have a problem with a hardware component after installing an operating system, it often means that you need a new driver. It is best to go to the manufacturer of the computer (and sometimes the individual component mfg) to get the latest driver.

So, you need to go to Dell.com and get the trackpad driver for your particular model. I did it for you this time:

Dell Inspiron 8200 Downloads & Drivers
Click on ''Input Device Drivers'' and then ''Alps GlidePoint/StickPointer'' to download the driver.

Hope all goes well. Now you have new troubleshooting knowledge and a transferable skill!!!

Collapse -
dude
by amezdoggs / September 17, 2005 3:18 PM PDT
In reply to: new driver

thank you so much, you must either get paid or really love this

(i havent tried it yet)

Collapse -
pro bono
by linkit / September 17, 2005 4:35 PM PDT
In reply to: dude

I do this for fun and I learn a lot, too. It's a productive way to kill time when the current project needs time to complete.

Collapse -
i tried
by amezdoggs / September 17, 2005 3:41 PM PDT
In reply to: new driver

i downloaded it and installed it but for some reason it only detects the mouse in my usb port and doesnt acknowledge the touch pad. is there a way to solve that through the system or is this the drivers problem? cuz i'm pretty sure its the right one.

Collapse -
more troubleshooting
by linkit / September 17, 2005 4:29 PM PDT
In reply to: i tried

There might be something in your Mouse control panel that controls the touchpad. Look on all the tabs--there might be a drop down list of devices that you can use to get to the settings for the touchpad. Look for a checkbox that enables/disables the touchpad.

In your program menu, look for a program with the name of the touchpad. The driver installer program could have installed a separate touchpad control program. Also, check out all the icons down by your clock.

In your Device Manager, under Mice..., is your touchpad device listed? Is there a ?, X, ! next to it?

Collapse -
there is
by amezdoggs / September 18, 2005 2:59 AM PDT
In reply to: more troubleshooting

i tried everyone of those. there is no other program that the driver installed, there is nothing in the mouse properties, and the touchpad icon in the tray takes me to mouse properties. Do you think it may be in services?

Collapse -
Those pads. . .
by Coryphaeus / September 17, 2005 12:38 PM PDT
In reply to: laptop mouse pad
Collapse -
thanks
by amezdoggs / September 17, 2005 1:46 PM PDT
In reply to: Those pads. . .

thanks, but i dont know what you need

Collapse -
Amez, Did You Use The Dell Resource CD...?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / September 17, 2005 2:10 PM PDT
In reply to: thanks

...to reinstall ALL of the device drivers? There should be one with your Recovery CD set for Dell.

In addition, many laptops have a "push button" immediately above/beside the touch-pad which will enable/disable the touch-pad. (Today, I worked on a Compaq laptop that had this type of button.) It allows the user to use a remote mouse without the touch-pad being a nuisance. Try pressing the button just in case the default is "disable".

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
actually
by amezdoggs / September 17, 2005 3:27 PM PDT

this is an older model which might be why it actually doesnt have a disable button, and i'm trying to download a driver at this point to see if it works. thanks alot, i'll let you know

Collapse -
didnt work
by amezdoggs / October 6, 2005 3:08 AM PDT

i tried to download and install the driver but it doesnt take effect

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!