Laptops forum

General discussion

Laptop Monitor Almost Dead

by Mondler / April 8, 2004 12:41 PM PDT

Hello. I use an Acer laptop, and I've been leaving it on quite a lot lately to download stuff. I left it on for about 18 hours, which I do on occasion, and it seemed fine till I powered it down. But now, I tried to switch it on, and the monitor has gone dark. I can see very, very, very faint traces of what's supposed to be onscreen, but it's pretty much mostly a sea of black. Does anyone know what the problem might be? Burned fuse, or something? And how can that problem be solved? Is it just a matter of replacing a bulb or wire? Or it is a big, costly process to get it fixed? Thanks so much for all your help!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Laptop Monitor Almost Dead
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Laptop Monitor Almost Dead
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Laptop Monitor Almost Dead = From description, the Cold Cathode
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 8, 2004 1:07 PM PDT
Collapse -
Re:Re:Laptop Monitor Almost Dead = From description, the Cold Cathode

Thanks for the link, Robert. Apparently it was the inverter that was the problem. Not too big, so yay. I appreciate the help, though.

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Laptop Monitor Almost Dead = From description, the Cold Cathode

You resolved this? It happened to mine 1 week after the warranty ran out and they (Acer) said I had to replace the screen and it was $900.00. I just started using an external monitor.

Collapse -
Re:Laptop Monitor Almost Dead = From description, the Cold C

Has this been fixed? My Toshiba has just had the same problem and my Toshiba Service Centre said it would cost me $400 to fix. Is it worth it? How did you manage to fix it?

Collapse -
Why it costs.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 26, 2004 1:55 AM PDT

Laptop makers outsource the entire LCD screen assembly and don't buy just the invertors or lamps. Only the entire unit can be had from the makers. It's just about as expensive (to them) to pay for a top-tier engineer to troubleshoot the laptop display and replace the failed tube or supply as it is to replace the entire panel.

Those that can repair such displays just cost a lot, so at the end of the day, the laptop vendors only supply big parts that J. Tech can install and fix the issue everytime.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: Why it costs.
by canadian / June 26, 2004 4:37 AM PDT
In reply to: Why it costs.

so is it worth fixing a 4 year old toshiba with this problem for $400 or buying a new laptop?

Collapse -
Your choice.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 26, 2004 5:23 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: Why it costs.

For me, my 4 year old laptop also needs a battery, and that 11G hard disk is feeling small. Good thing it's not what I use all the time.

For me, I'd replace the laptop and sell the old dead unit off.

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?