General discussion

Laptop misreading space on HD

I get popup messages telling me I have no room on my HD! yet when I check properties on HD have 1.25gb!!
Any ideas why this should be happening?
Also found have 250 updates stored and taking up space!
Can I safely delete these?

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Laptop misreading space on HD
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Laptop misreading space on HD
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
What is the exact message?

We often find error messages such as "Virtual memory low" or similar can be mistaken for hard disk errors, so please tell us the exact wording of this message.

Which OS are you using? You don't give any details.

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem.

Mark

- Collapse -
You should be able to delete the updates ...

but when in doubt why not COPY the updates to other media (such as a flash drive or CD-R) BEFORE deleting them. Then if you have problems you can easily copy them right back where you found them.

As Mark said, YOU have given us no details as to exact error message (I suspect it is the low space message generated by the OS if available storage gets too limited) nor have you mentioned OS (include Service Pack Level if a MS OS).

Just above where you clicked the Submit button to create your post there is a note in attention grabbing RED TEXT that apparently your browser is hiding from you - it states:
Please read before posting

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

It is there because you have to help us help you.

- Collapse -
Laptop

Apologies! Am using Vista Business, service pack 2, and yes,it is the low space message generated by the OS. However in looking for details of OS, note a line in blue suggesting that I upgrade Vista!! but again, upon checking I would appear to have the latest service pack.

- Collapse -
1.25GB is not enough today. Here's why.

Many machines have 2 or more GB RAM. Why does this matter? The PAGING FILE setting on most machines is set to automatic (do not change this) and since this is a VM OS (sorry, but research that) this paging file can easily grow to 2 or more GB without much prodding.

Try 20GB free and you should see the message stop.
Bob

- Collapse -
Laptop

I have 2gb Ram, but Cdrive is only 30gb, while D drive has 117gb.
Maybe I should up partiton size on C to 45gb, but would prefer to strip C drive to minimum requirements. Any advice on what are the essentials to keep on the C drive to ensure it still functions OK!

- Collapse -
The old idea of keeping C to the OS is now outdated.

There were folk suggesting partitions would save our files from an OS reinstall or a virus attach. This has turned out to be false security. I won't go over the long explanation of how threats have evolved and how apps fail after the OS reinstall. I will write a bit more how such results in slower performance.

Here's the problem. When you partition the drive and install the OS in one partition and your stuff in another you force the OS to seek longer as it has to get something from C then move over to D and repeat that many times. If this was a solid state drive this penalty would not exist but most of us have the old spinning rust platter and head drives.

All this is YOUR CHOICE. You make your choice and live with the decision.

Today I simply make one drive and if we want to segregate content we put that into a folder.
Bob

- Collapse -
Laptop
- Collapse -
Little left to do but

Turn off then back on System Restore to free up space, look up CCLEANER and hope this cleans enough to help.
Bob

- Collapse -
Laptop

Thanks again Bob, will do as you suggest re Sys restore.
Have CCleaner and Easy Cleaner, and use them before shutdown.
They have kept me going, but I will now scour C drive and move as many applics as possible to D drive after doing a back up to an 8gb mem stick.
Am still intrigued by the 2gb sector which never seems to have anything on it??
Regards
xocal

- Collapse -
For example, Vista and 7 have a partition like that.

CNET Forums

Forum Info