Computer Help forum

General discussion

Laptop memory error code Help!

I have a Dell C600 Latitude Laptop. I use it just to play games on and stuff. Doesnt have a lot of mem on it, 256mb. Windows XP. I had a problem come up and I reinstalled my windows xp on and now i have this mem error coming up as reads: memory write/read failure @ 04000040, read 80EF00EF expecting 00EF00EF. Decreasing available memory. The amount of system memory has changed. Strike F1 key to continue, F2 to run setup utility.

I have tried both, F2 well, I dont know what they want me to do there. It still shows 256mb as the available memory and the F1 well just lets it go thru. Do you know why I am suddenly getting this message and how do I or what do I do to get rid of it.

Thanks for your help.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Laptop memory error code Help!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Laptop memory error code Help!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
rurbina

In reply to: Laptop memory error code Help!

Could be bad or improperly seated ram,try testing the ram,LINK

256mb might not be enough for games.

Tom

Collapse -
Laptop Memory Error code

In reply to: rurbina

Thank you for your help. But is this the only way, it sounds so complicated to me. Also, I think it does have something to do with my memory cards seated under the cover. I opened the cover one day to see what the mem cards looked like and to see how much was in there as I wanted to add more. After putting one of the cards back, it didnt seem to sit right and I had a problem right after, so I reopened it and reset it and the next time I did not have the problem. But I wonder if when moving my laptop around, one of the mem cards is not sitting in its slot right. Could this be it?

thank you.

Collapse -
rurbina

In reply to: Laptop Memory Error code

I don't see how moving the laptop around could jar the mem card,but I suppose anything thing is possible.If they did move when you moved the laptop then the mem card probably not seated correctly.

Tom

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.