Laptops forum

General discussion

Laptop >= Macbook Pro

by st0de / January 12, 2015 5:16 AM PST

Hi!

I'm looking to upgrade my laptop to a new one. I need something that is better or equivalent to my Macbook Pro late 2013 with the following config:

- CPU: Intel Quad-Core i7 2.0 GHz
- RAM: 16Gb
- Graphic: Intel Iris Pro 5200
- Storage: 256Gb SSD
- Battery: 7h+ (even after a year) is a must
- Display: 2880x1800

My last "PC" laptop was a Lenovo Y450 back in 2009 and I was really disappointed about the battery that was dead after a year and a half.

Also, if the suggested laptop(s) could have the fellowing, it would be appreciated:

- Line-in audio port.
- Numpad.

Usage:
- Web most of time
- Virtual machines
- Light gaming

Thank you in advance for all your comments/suggestions.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Laptop >= Macbook Pro
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Laptop >= Macbook Pro
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
This means you are shopping for a 14 hour laptop.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 12, 2015 5:24 AM PST
In reply to: Laptop >= Macbook Pro

The current battery warranty is 300 cycles and passing if they retain 50% capacity at that point. However while I see such today your other specs knocked out models I had in mind.

-> The story of the y450 is typical for folk that run on battery during the day and charge at night. In less than 2 years the battery is gone. There was a flirtation by Apple with a 1,000 cycle battery but that seems to have been pulled off the market.

So there it is, if you are using the battery like this, no laptop should last that long (years.) You'll burn through a batter every year or so.
Bob

Collapse -
Battery
by st0de / January 12, 2015 7:31 AM PST

I remember that I was paying attention to the battery usage when I was using the Y450, ie: enable battery saving mode, disabling wifi when not in use, diming the screen backlight, charging + discharging to keep the electons moving, etc

I do the same with my current laptop, and this is maybe why it's still able to run up to 10h (after 1 year, 208 cycle), even using a virtual machine all the day (C++ programming course using Linux).

But the main question is: is there any laptop >= to these specs ?

Collapse -
Sorry. Didn't find one.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 12, 2015 7:56 AM PST
In reply to: Battery

While I did like a few, your specs knocked them all out. I can't guess why the need for battery power. Here at the office we use many different models but battery power is the exception, not the rule for many reasons. There are folk that for reasons I can't guess want to cut the cord.
Bob

Collapse -
Office vs mobile
by st0de / January 12, 2015 11:41 AM PST

As you said, it's in the office.

I am that folk that use a laptop because it is portable. I wouldn't pay that price for a laptop if I was staying at home all the time, I'd rather buy a PC. I'm moving a lot and it's more decent to put a laptop in my school bag than moving a PC all the way around. The fact that it last 7h+ is important for me because it prove that it is really portable, I can work on my things without running after power outlets.

Collapse -
Did you see which laptops met your other spec?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 12, 2015 11:43 AM PST
In reply to: Office vs mobile

Let's try this another way. What laptops met your spec? (and wasn't the Apple models.)

Collapse -
Other very good except battery
by st0de / January 13, 2015 12:50 AM PST

I saw some MSI laptop, like the GS60 Ghost Pro, which is cleary better in term of price, storage and graphics. But it cuts in battery life. Other brands like Gigabyte, Asus, Aorus, Sager... I saw some models. They are all better in some aspect but: they don't have that battery I'm looking for, some are made of plastic, some doesn't have this screen resolution. Maybe it's not this kind of laptop I should search for. I think I need something that won't exist in years. Something that is powerfull when on plug, and having a good battery life when I'm moving.

Collapse -
A lot of new models were rolled out at CES 2015
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 13, 2015 1:09 AM PST

It will be a while till we see them in channels but your list is beyond a very leading edge model.
Bob

Collapse -
Have you actually USED any of those brands(?)
by Pepe7 / January 13, 2015 1:29 AM PST

My guess is no, if you feel published specs along would provide the same experience that you are currently used to (and presumably, satisfied with) on your MBP.

You are looking for a unicorn, basically. Time for you to leverage AC power as much as possible and not be so anal about finding the mega-battery laptop Wink

Collapse -
Yup, Unicorn hunt.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 13, 2015 2:13 AM PST

A recent Unicorn hunter came back and gave up. They caved and picked up a run of the mill web surfer machine for 250 bucks. I'm a bit surprised how far that was from their initial spec but it really does do what they wanted plus they can keep hunting.
Bob

Collapse -
I'm open to suggestions
by st0de / January 13, 2015 3:37 AM PST

Ahah! I know... maybe I should not be this concerned about batteries. I have not tried any of these models, I read some reviews, everything look awesome. The only point that I dislike is the battery life (<5h). Appart of that, they're all fabulous! I know, big power = bigger consumption. I don't always need graphic power, as I said, most of time I'm surfing the web.

Leaving the battery life aside, what are your suggestions ?

Collapse -
Remember it's changing as CES models emerge.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 13, 2015 3:50 AM PST
Collapse -
Those all all gaming machines that have power components.
by orlbuckeye / January 26, 2015 10:12 PM PST

The most powerful laptops WILL have shorter battery life because it just takes more power to do things with these machines. Battery life savers are integrated graphics only, SSD and the Intel Ultra processor which have a lower clock speed. Basically if you go for battery life you have to give up power and if you go for power you give up battery life. That being said the new Dell XPS has good ratings. They have a 15" and a 13".

http://www.dell.com/us/p/xps-13-9333/pd?oc=fncwp1512h

Collapse -
Let's see what Newegg lists for that Display spec.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 12, 2015 8:09 AM PST
In reply to: Laptop >= Macbook Pro
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?