Question

laptop keys don't work

My cat walked across my laptop (before i could stop her) now none of my computer keys work. I switched my computer off and restarted it, but I can't even type my password in. Help....what do I do???

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: laptop keys don't work
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: laptop keys don't work
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
Hopefully you have your manual ...

or already know off the top of your head just which key combination enables and disables the use of your keyboard as a numerical key pad. That is probably what happened.

If that doesn't work don't know what else to tell you because you didn't think it important enough to tell us the make and specific model of your laptop as well as the OS and version and all laptops and operating systems are not the same.

- Collapse -
Answer
No make or model.

I would nod to the generic reset noted in the CNET Laptop Troubleshooting forum but let's read from you about make and model.

Also, tell the forum if you have some USB KEYBOARD handy.
Bob

- Collapse -
Answer
Try an external keyboard

I'd suggest trying an external keyboard such as a PS/2 or USB keyboard then go to your Control Panel, then click on "System", pick the "Hardware" tab, and go to "Device Manager". On the list you'll find "Keyboard" which you can scan for changes to see if it is in fact detected. If it is and the drivers work properly, it's most likely a hotkey to disable the keyboard that was initiated which you can easily fix by going to google and searching for your exact laptop model with the keywords "disable keyboard" or "enable keyboard" to figure out what hotkey combination you need. If that still doesn't work, hopefully someone else here has a solution for you that will work. Good luck! Grin

CNET Forums