Question

Laptop keyboard not working

I have Windows Vista (32 bit) installed on a Dell XPS 1530. When I attempt to login to Windows the keyboard is completely non responsive. It does work when I press F2 to go into setup mode though. How do I fix it? I really don't want to wipe everything and reinstall Windows. I've already tried restoring to an earlier date from the Windows disk, but it says that there isn't a suitable backup.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Laptop keyboard not working
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Laptop keyboard not working
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
This is a really tough one to fix (if)

If the damage is one I know of, it's not possible for me to write a step by step for this one.

Did you try an USB keyboard so you're sure it's Windows and not the hardware?

Tell more.
Bob

- Collapse -
Yes I did

I plugged in a USB wireless keyboard I had lying around. No luck.

- Collapse -
Does the keyboards work in a LiveCD?
- Collapse -
Setup

And like I said, it works fine in setup mode.

- Collapse -
Remember I can't write a step by step

There's a keyboard driver from logitech and now a few keyboard loggers that do this. Those I can never write a step by step for. Why? It's too long and too many variations so with that out of the way.

Did you try this in Safe Mode?

1. Use MSCONFIG to disable any keyboard logger or helper?

2. Use Device Manager and delete/remove all keyboards there?
Bob

CNET Forums