Laptops forum

General discussion

Laptop keyboard keys stop functioning after a dissection

by rajalo87 / May 30, 2010 3:34 AM PDT

I have been having problems keeping my touchpad and keyboard functioning after taking my laptop apart. In the first instance, my touchpad stopped working a couple weeks after the dissection. I took the computer back apart, and re-secured the touch pad jack in the motherboard connector, and it worked again.

The second instance, which I havent been able to solve, is the keyboard keys. Certain keys will stop working after some period of use, usually a couple hours to a couple days.

I have tried readjusting the keyboard jack in the motherboard connector, also have tried turning off the computer and taking out the battery for a while.

Please help

Its an HP Pavilion dv5000 with Windows XP.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Laptop keyboard keys stop functioning after a dissection
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Laptop keyboard keys stop functioning after a dissection
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
This one.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 30, 2010 4:07 AM PDT

In some machines is due to the old laptop battery. Let me not repeat why but skip to "the test."

Remove the battery and see if it works.
Bob

Collapse -
Key Problems still
by rajalo87 / May 31, 2010 4:53 AM PDT
In reply to: This one.

The computer and battery are old, about 4 years. But I gave that a try, took the battery out for about for about an hour, and the keys still dont work.

I did notice that the keys that are not functioning are all adjacent to each other in one cluster on the keypad.

Collapse -
That sounds like a row or column failure.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 31, 2010 8:50 AM PDT
In reply to: Key Problems still

Have you tried a new keyboard. These run well under 99 bucks and much cheaper than a new laptop.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?