Laptop Issues

by Shinku-Oni / February 27, 2014 6:53 PM PST

Okay, So I have a Dell Inspiron 17r Special Edition
Nvidia GTM 650
8 GB RAM
Intel Core i7 4th Gen
Windows 8.1

If you need any more please just ask

Okay, So, This has pretty much been a constant issue with my Laptop, It's barely 3 months old. I can boot up, And some times, I can play games like Assasssins Creed Black Flag, Skyrim and other high end games with graphics maxed out, But the next reboot, Having changed nothing whatsoever. I may only get 6 FPS on games like Assassins Creed Brotherhood (With low graphics) Can anyone explain this and how I might fix this because this consistancy problem is really starting to annyoy me to no end

I have recent created a few chocks that just sit up on the rear of the Laptop and boosts it's height so that the air vents have much better ventilation (Which has fixed my over heating and frame dropping issue) and I doubt this has impacted negatively on my computer as it is an external fix

Thank you to anyone who help
-Seamus

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Laptop Issues
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Laptop Issues
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
At 3 months it's a warranty issue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 27, 2014 10:40 PM PST
In reply to: Laptop Issues

I don't see why we would need to fix a PC so new and in warranty.
Bob

Collapse -
Oops, My mistake
by Shinku-Oni / February 28, 2014 4:40 AM PST

The Laptop is 8 months old, But I'm confident it is still under warranty. What would Dell do?

And otherwise, Do you know what could be causing this? Cause I've spent hours just restarting my computer, Hoping for a boot that runs properly, I know my computer can play these games with little lag, And I don't see why there is such a huge difference if I haven't changed any settings whatsoever

-Seamus

Collapse -
Re: what would Dell do?
by Kees_B Forum moderator / February 28, 2014 5:28 AM PST
In reply to: Oops, My mistake

Repair it. They might replace the videocard, for example, if that has such inconsistent behaviour.

Kees

Collapse -
While you might not change things.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 28, 2014 5:38 AM PST
In reply to: Oops, My mistake

Even at 8 months some update Microsoft or Dell could tank a PC. And with all the malware out, well, what if someone picked up something? It's not as if Norton or such stops the bad stuff anymore.
Bob

Collapse -
Okay, Thank you
by Shinku-Oni / February 28, 2014 7:33 AM PST

I recently updated my System ( an update for Windows 8.1) And that SEEMS to have fixed it, Though I'll have to restart a few times to make sure, And I'm going to call Dell anyway because I have a feeling that my graphics card is the thing thats letting me down here

Thank you for all the help guys Happy

Collapse -
Answer
It could have been
by orlbuckeye / March 4, 2014 4:04 AM PST

a setting. I know that Dell's Alienware brand as a switch that allows you to turn off the discrete graphics card when not gaming to save battery life. I'm not sure if your model has that but you may want to check it out.

Collapse -
Answer
Actually it's Nvidia not Dell
by orlbuckeye / March 4, 2014 4:09 AM PST

Google - Nvidia's Optimus technology.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.