Laptops forum

General discussion

Laptop in China

by slainte8787 / November 27, 2009 5:35 AM PST

Hey, moving to Shanghai for at least a year and my parents are buying me a new laptop before I go.
Used to own a Dell Inspiron which served me well for about four and a half years and then was overrun by viruses.
I want to get a laptop that
A) is lightweight
B) has decent battery life and good memory
C) has a camera and microphone built in

Those are pretty much my requirements. My parents are okay with spending anything less than $2,000 though I know they'd prefer to spend less than $1,000.
After China this computer is going to be used as a student computer because I'm going to law school so no crazy fancy graphics cards or media production things are needed.

I've been steered towards the new 13" MacBook Pro by most of my friends but I've heard from some of my "tech-ier" friends that I can get pretty much the same thing for less from lesser known brand-names.

If anyone can help me out with some suggestions I'd be grateful. Thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Laptop in China
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Laptop in China
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
At the top of this forum.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 27, 2009 5:55 AM PST
In reply to: Laptop in China

Is the laptop pickers.

HOWEVER how will you feel about no warranty? Almost every maker will not honor the warranty unless you ship it back to the country you bought it in.

I've lost count of the sad stories.
Bob

Collapse -
13" MacBook Pro vs. Sony Vaio CW
by slainte8787 / November 27, 2009 12:36 PM PST

I'm not too worried about the warranty because I'll be returning to the US eventually.

So I've narrowed my decision down to the 13" MacBook Pro (lighter, longer battery life, few to no virus problems) and the Sony Vaio CW (better specs: more memory and better performance capacity).

I definitely think this might come down to a personal preference decision but I wanted to see if anyone out there had any comments.

Do you have a Vaio CW? Do you like it? Have you ever used Skype on it?
Does the MacBook Pro require a lot of maintenance?

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 27, 2009 1:20 PM PST

I use a variety of machines. Dad has a Vaio which is fine. As to maintenance on the Apple, I consider them to be about 10 percent of what effort I put into the PC. Nice machine to just use. Sorry, not a big skype user as current telco plans means we don't need it.
Bob

Collapse -
re: R. Proffitt
by slainte8787 / November 27, 2009 2:27 PM PST
In reply to: .

Thanks! Still not sure which way I'll go but feel a bit better about making the decision now.

Collapse -
Skype/MBP 13
by d_adams / November 27, 2009 10:01 PM PST

Skype video calls work great on the Mac; haven't ever used a Sony (except in the store), so I can't say about it. I did look at them in the stores when I was buying my MacBook Pro, but I decided on the Apple because of the design/features/software (you can do sooo much more with OS X than Windows).

I haven't had to do a single thing to maintain my MacBook Pro, unless you count installing the occasional update and keeping it shiny with the cleaning cloth! As for the speed, I found that both the Sony and the MacBook Pro (both were lower end display computers in the store) were equally fast despite the Sony's superior (on paper) specs. So, it just came down to the features and software both machines had, and I decided on the 2.53GHz MBP 13.

Anyway, I guess you should go to the Best Buy or somewhere similar and try both of them out.

Good luck

Collapse -
used as a student computer
by jonah jones / November 27, 2009 3:19 PM PST

because I'm going to law school

you think a 13" screen will be enough?

i do very little "technical/official" work, but when i do, it's always on the 17" monitor

jonah "my eyes aren't as young as they used to be" jones

Collapse -
Re: young eyes
by slainte8787 / November 27, 2009 4:05 PM PST
Happy
I think 13" will be ok. Still have 20/20 thank goodness. Plus those 17" are always so heavy! On top of books it's like you're carrying a couple of dumbbells.
Collapse -
(NT) :-) enjoy! (the laptop and China)
by jonah jones / November 27, 2009 5:02 PM PST
In reply to: Re: young eyes
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?