by kat1864 / November 2, 2011 1:05 AM PDT

I have been looking to replace the laptop (HP Pavilion dv6000) that got
me through college, and am finding myself rather stumped. I've been
doing research online and have visited the store, but it feels a bit
like a crap shoot.

Criteria in consideration:
Reliable, reasonably portable
(probably 14"), good battery life, decent processor (I'm thinking Intel
i5), quick start-up, preferably not super ugly, under $800, web cam. I will be using the computer for basic web surfing, video streaming, MS Office, etc. No gaming, video editing or other excessive memory-eating activities. After experiencing HP's bloatware, I'm hoping to avoid going through that again.

The first two
are available at Best Buy, which is nice for the instant
gratification. The Dell would have to be ordered via internet. I am
also open to other ideas.

Samsung
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2394305,00.asp#fbid=Vuh6O39D4dW

Asus
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2394971,00.asp#fbid=Vuh6O39D4dW

or
http://www.amazon.com/U30SD-XA1-13-3-Inch-Light-Laptop-Black/dp/B004YW6I38/ref=sr_1_17?m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1320244928&sr=1-17

Dell
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2392299,00.asp#fbid=Vuh6O39D4dW

Any thoughts? Thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Laptop help
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Laptop help
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Let me share I'm a bit biased here.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 2, 2011 1:14 AM PDT
In reply to: Laptop help

I own the next up, last year model Samsung RC512. The aluminum case never seems hot and it's nearly instant on or hybrid sleep mode is something you will be amazed at if you never saw it before.

Talk about quick start up. About 3 to 5 seconds here. The Samsung should win this round.

The only quibble is that if you want to play games I'd stick to card games. But this model is worth another look.
Bob

Collapse -
Note about battery life extension.Samsung may win this round
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 2, 2011 4:05 AM PDT

Samsung has a great feature here. To extend battery life, they have a little app to pull down the full charge to 80%

By doing so we'll see if we'll every need a battery.
Bob

Collapse -
Its a battery
by TWB404 / November 2, 2011 7:09 AM PDT

That means it will fail one day depending on its usage. You discharge it and recharge it 300 times ,give or take, and it is going to go bad. It does not matter if you discharge it 50% and recharge it 50%, or any kind of combination 300 times, give or take, and it is going to fail. The fact that they made it user unfriendly to change means they just want to make an extra $75 to $100 when it does. My advice to anyone, when you see a manufacture goes this route is not to buy that product.

Collapse -
You saw this complaint about the iPod
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 2, 2011 7:18 AM PDT
In reply to: Its a battery

And yet it's doing quite well.

Isn't it about time to toss out outdated ideas like this?

We get a little less weight and less parts to fail.
Bob

Collapse -
Comparing Apples to Oranges are we
by TWB404 / November 2, 2011 7:36 AM PDT

I find it surprising that you would compare a iPod to a laptop. Apple makes everything so it has to go back to the shop for servicing, hence the reason I have never owned one. iPod like the iPhone succeeded because they where the first on the market with the features they offered and had no competition for a very long time. That is changing tho so we will see how it plays out.

The battery in a laptop that has to go back to the shop to be changed is going to weight roughly the same. The only weight saving is going to be the plastic cover which can be no more then an once or 2. Does a user want to pay an extra $75 to $100 to get a new battery to save a ounce or 2 on weight.

Only those who will profit from changing these batteries are going to support making batteries user unfriendly to change.

Collapse -
We've been here before.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 2, 2011 7:50 AM PDT

And given how few batteries get replaced over the years this is a GREAT DESIGN move.

Speaking of Apples, I think all the Apple laptops did this years ago. It's working out there too!
Bob

Collapse -
We'll see
by TWB404 / November 2, 2011 8:08 AM PDT

Apple is doing so well they control less then 10% of the puter market. hmmmmm I have read that people who own iPod do choose to throw them away instead of having the battery changed. The cost of a new one was less then what it would cost to change the battery. hmmmmmm Apple went so far as to change the screws in the iPhone to keep others from changing the battery. hmmmmmm Must be a lot of money in changing those batteries.

Now lets apply that to laptops. The Samsung he is looking at is $680. Are you recommending that when the battery goes bad in a year or 2 he just throw it away and buy a new one. Or, would it better be better to go buy a new battery. Wait, he is going to have to pay an extra $75 to $100 to get it change. If it was a standard laptop battery all he has to do is flip a latch and pop in another one and he is back up and running. Laptop batteries cost between $75 to $125.

Does a user, after 1 to 2 years, want to throw away a laptop they paid $680 because the battery went bad or do they want to replace it for as little as possible and get a few more years out of it. I do know that I would not want to throw it away and I would not want to add $75 to $100 just to get a new battery.

Collapse -
Most users are smarter than that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 2, 2011 8:27 AM PDT
In reply to: We'll see

I think we need to think that most owners will be able to remove the cover to slip in a new battery.

If you've used this model (I have the other one) it's hard to ignore the new features.

-> I can't find the under 5 second wake from zero power feature on the others.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Lean towards ASUS
by TWB404 / November 2, 2011 3:54 AM PDT
In reply to: Laptop help

The Samsung battery can not be removed without taking the laptop apart. That means you will have to take it to a shop to get a new battery when that one goes bad. That will ad 75$ to 100$ to the new battery replacement. If you use the battery regularly, that will happened after about 300 hundred cycles. ASUS come with a drop and spill warranty along with the standard warranty. They make the best motherboards on the market and their bloatware is not as bad. They also come with facial reconnection software for logging in.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.