The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

laptop help

by drummerboy627 / November 20, 2006 12:53 AM PST

hello everyone,
i am new to the whole laptop scene. i am going off to college next fall but i thought i might get ahead of the game by getting a laptop in the very near future.
i need a laptop that is powerful enough for both photoshop and video editing. i am definitely getting a 15.4" screen, 1gb ram, and a dedicated video card (either nvidia or ati). however, i'm not sure how laptop processors compare to desktop processors (i have a 2.53ghz p4 processor in my desktop).
i'm going to get a dual-core processor. my question is: how fast? will 1.66ghz be enough or should i go higher? also, how do the dual-core mobile processors compare with p4 desktop processors in terms of speed (i would like something that is just as fast, if not faster, than my current p4 processor).

thanks for your help,
drummerboy

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: laptop help
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: laptop help
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
take a look at the mac laptops, 1GB ram and 1.7+GHz min...
by shawnlin / November 20, 2006 1:37 AM PST
In reply to: laptop help

take a look at the mac laptops.
1Gb RAM and 1.7+GHz minimum.
I recommend something like 2Gb RAM and 2Ghz - I think that'll last you a while...

Collapse -
how powerfull?
by Roquediego / November 20, 2006 11:10 AM PST

with the new dual cores,is easy and good so dont worry that much about cpu, but worry about the graphics card if you are really doing hard stuff i will recomend a dell workstation with nvidia quadro video cards, if not maybe you should think in a tablet they are very good for taking notes in class.

Collapse -
MacBook Pro
by Chris_Fon / November 21, 2006 1:53 AM PST
In reply to: laptop help

Looks like you have a clear idea of what you want.

Number 1 choice for your situation would be the MacBook Pro. It's slick, stylish, powerful and a pretty good price considering it's performance. It also has a decent graphics card for a laptop, and most proffesional video and photo editors currently use macs.

If you have you heart set on a non-mac laptop: Sony's new C-Series looks pretty tastey, and the case looks surprisingly like a MacBook Pro. Sony for a fairly long time has been the king of laptops, so there a gd choice.

If you want a more budget choice, HP Pavillion is pretty gd. It will handle all the stuff you want to do (assuming we arn't talking HD movie editing, while super-panoramaring a picture at the same time while playing Halo 3), but it won't give you as much street cred as the Sony or the Apple.

As for Duo vs Pentium, I dont think they make a Dual Core processor that is slower than a P4 of that speed, so anything will do. Of course, I recommend going for a Core2 Duo, or Core Duo if that isn't available. Dunno why, but i dislike Dual Core Pentium Chips.

Hope that helped!!

Collapse -
Mac Book Pro
by bullardc / November 21, 2006 9:27 AM PST
In reply to: MacBook Pro

I'd go for a Mac Book Pro, not only 'cause i'm the worlds biggest apple fanboy, but it's actually a pretty good deal, and I think they've got all the jankidity sorted out.

Collapse -
no more jankbooks then?
by drummerboy627 / November 22, 2006 4:54 AM PST
In reply to: Mac Book Pro

so they're not jankbook pros any more? haha
i think i'm actually going to wait until i'm accepted into a school because then i can get a student discount on the no-longer-janky macbook. unfortunately, i want the 15.4" screen and that starts at $2000.
any chance they're going to cut prices at macworld?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?