Computer Help forum

General discussion

Laptop having wireless trouble...

by Adam Jackson / April 2, 2009 1:39 AM PDT

Alright...I've had my laptop for about a year and just recently it has started to do some weird things on the internet. Today, for instance, I was playing a game online but everytime I would try to go to the game's website, I would lose my internet connection. Also, just now, it won't let me connect to my Yahoo! Messenger program.

I am running Windows Vista Ultimate. If you need any other details, please ask. I'm grateful for any help you can give! Thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Laptop having wireless trouble...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Laptop having wireless trouble...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Also...
by Adam Jackson / April 2, 2009 1:42 AM PDT

I am having a problem with my desktop computer that is running Vista Home Premium. About 2-3 weeks ago, whenever I would exit from IE, it would pop up an error box saying "IE is not responding. Windows is looking for solutions..." and that still occurs to this day. Can you help with this problem, also?

Collapse -
So BOTH Computers Are Having Problems With Your Internet?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / April 2, 2009 2:47 AM PDT
In reply to: Also...

If both machines are having issues when connected to your router at home, then I'll suggest visiting the router's website and finding updated firmware for the router.. A number of routers need updated firmware to function correctly with Vista..

You could certainly test the diagnosis by using the laptop at another location to see if the disconnect/dropoff occurs. Of course, performing the usual updates of all ethernet and wireless adapter drivers would be a good idea too.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Well...
by Adam Jackson / April 2, 2009 10:30 PM PDT

The laptop is the one that is having trouble with the internet. And I don't think it is the router that is causing it. I have two other computers connected to that network and they all work fine. But I will try and update the driver software like you said.

The desktop is having a problem with Internet Explorer 7. Whenever I exit out of it, it pops up the error box, which it shouldn't. This has happened only recently, probably since about the time when IE8 came out. I don't know if that could have somehow caused a change.

Thanks, Grif!

Collapse -
I'm going to be short here.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 2, 2009 10:38 PM PDT

You do the research.

1. Disable the VISTA BROADCAST FLAG
2. Use the settings we share in our Networking Forum.

"It worked before" will get silence from me. It doesn't work now so we move to the two most common cures without sharing (again) why it matters.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.