Attention: The forums are currently placed on Read Only.

Thank you for visiting the CNET forums. Our site is currently undergoing some maintenance. During this period (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT,) you can read the forums content, however posting in the forum will not be available. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Computer Help forum

General discussion

Laptop having trouble w/ USB ports and wireless router setup

by kstrieg / January 21, 2010 5:11 AM PST

Hi, I have had my new emachines D525 laptop with Win7 for about 6 weeks. It has run very well with my wireless router and with devices plugged into the USB ports until this week.

This may be 2 separate issues but I will explain both in case they are related. The laptop was shut down and the wireless router was turned off over night. When I tried to log on in the morning, it had some trouble finding our home network connection (which is the only one we've ever used). Restarted the system and it worked fine for the day. Next day it did it again, I tried to re-install my network and it is "unsuccessful". It asks for my d-link routers pin number which is on the back of the router and I've double checked the number 100 times and it tells me wrong pin. Other times it doesn't give me a reason just says unsuccessful. Troubleshooter has not been successful either. I can log on-line but it won't let me set up the security which I obviously need.

Today my mouse stopped working, says the device is unknown, same with printer. I have all the current windows updates, I tried restarting and plugging them back in. Now, half the time it isn't even recognizing that something is plugged in. Troubleshooter "does not recognize there is a problem with the device"

Sorry for the long post but lots of things are going wrong suddenly. Any help would be appreciated for one or both of my problems.

Thanks in advance!

Discussion is locked
Collapse -
Re: trouble with USB
by Kees Bakker / January 21, 2010 5:18 AM PST

My guess: if you call emachines and start talking about warranty they'll say that it must be a virus or so, so please
1. Do a system restore back to when it still worked.
2. No luck, then start go back to factory settings from recovery DVD or recovery partition.
3. Still no luck? Than it MIGHT be broken.

So why not make a backup of all your personal files (just in case you didn't) and start with #1.

Kees

Collapse -
USB issues
by Willy / January 21, 2010 7:42 AM PST

Google USB issues as they pop-up all too often. A laptop has limited power even if AC powered when present. The USB port(s) aren't meant to provide power to power hungry devices out there as yours shows what can happen. Even, if not the problem source, it can be later. As for your router, D-Link while a decent brand does have issue son its own. Check that out and see what crops-up via their support website. Do the usual stuff, use a restore point to see if s/w is at fault here, but I thought it, just do it. If not already save any important data. As Kees explained, eMachine people are going to walk you through some hoops, but if that doesn't fix it, just send it back for repairs. Take, my advice don't leave USB devices attached to a laptop, when powering up on next time, alot more juice is needed to wake everything up, so refrain from that once the laptop is 100% again.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Thanks, now just router troubles...
by kstrieg / January 24, 2010 2:48 AM PST
In reply to: USB issues

Thank you both for your help. I seemed to resolve the USB issues thankfully, pretty sure my mini-mouse is dead but was able to get my printer/scanner running through both my usb ports, found a different way to do it and it turned on, what a relief. I am still having router troubles so I posted a new question with more details. Thank you!

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!