Laptops forum

General discussion

Laptop hard disk backup using 60Gb hard disc enclosure

Hi,

I have a laptop with a 20Gb hard drive
I have a USB2.0 hard disc enclosure
I have 2 spare laptop hard discs (40Gb and 60Gb)
I've used Acronis true image in the past and have been able to successfully create a new image to the 40Gb hard drive using the USB enclosure
However I am having problems with the 60Gb hard drive
It seems as though there is not enough power to the USB enclosure when the 60Gb drive is inserted i.e Windows doesn't even recognize it as a hard disc at all

The enclosure itself was a cheap one which I purchased from Newegg.com. It also has 2 USB connections and supposedly the two cables when connected up to the laptop supply sufficient power to drive the enclosure without a power supply

However I tried both connections at the same time and the hard disc inside the enclosure is still not recognized. So I can' backup the 20Gb to my 60Gb 7200rpm drive

Has anyone noticed this also for faster hard drives and has a solution ?

The only thing I can think of to do is to just buy another enclosure that includes a power supply. But I don't know if that will solve the problem. I don't want to have to mess around with buying something, and returning it, if it doesn't work

So if someone knows of a reasonably cheap enclosure that definitely works with a power hungry hard disc, and can show me a link, that will be great

Thanks
Richard

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Laptop hard disk backup using 60Gb hard disc enclosure
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Laptop hard disk backup using 60Gb hard disc enclosure
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Not backup.

In reply to: Laptop hard disk backup using 60Gb hard disc enclosure

This is a copy without meeting the requirements that would make it a "real" backup.

For some it will do, but such backup systems don't have a write protect switch and fail just when you need them.

-> Fine for a quick copy.

Bob

Collapse -
Your enclosure probably has an ac adapter port

See if you can locate the manual for the enclosure. Take everything to Radioshack and buy an ac adapter (if it's not that expensive). That should solve your problems - the enclosure is most likely not receiving enough power from the usb ports.

Collapse -
My suggestion...

You said:
"So I can' backup the 20Gb to my 60Gb 7200rpm drive
Has anyone noticed this also for faster hard drives and has a solution ?
The only thing I can think of to do is to just buy another enclosure that includes a power supply. But I don't know if that will solve the problem. I don't want to have to mess around with buying something, and returning it, if it doesn't work"

If I was you I would go to any computer store and grasp an external-IDE case (some have both USB & Firewire) and it should comes with a power adapter for the drive itself. Search on Google and you will see alot. Here is one example I found http://www.xpcgear.com/35enclosure.html

Regards,

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!