Laptops forum

General discussion

Laptop graphics card

by oblig / May 5, 2006 12:43 AM PDT

Hi i was just woundering if its possible to change a laptop graphics as i have been told by many people you can and carnt its a
hp pavilion zd8480ea
with a ATI mobility radeon x600 PCI graphics card

Many Thanks

PS if cannot be changed can i do anything else to boost my gaming up.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Laptop graphics card
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Laptop graphics card
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Yes ...
by Ghost26-20878886633866019035262628200812 / May 6, 2006 3:28 AM PDT
In reply to: Laptop graphics card

Yes, you could change it for a X700 or X800 because your X600 as the AXIOM technology :

AXIOM? (Advanced eXpress I/O Module) is a new design concept, enabling Notebook designers and users to reap the benefit of PCI Express, and achieve faster time-to-market with cutting edge, innovative solutions. ATI is an industry leader in PCI Express and is first-to-market with true native high-performance mobile graphics products. ATI is now building on that leadership by introducing AXIOM? - a family of modular graphics and multimedia solutions for the Notebook PC using PCI Express interconnect.

AXIOM? is a flexible approach to PCI Express modules and provides the most reliable and fastest time to market with cutting edge, innovatove solutions:
Proven, robust connector
Standard form factors
Can be customized for optimal fit with industrial design
Standard interconnect for graphics and other peripheral designs
Takes full advantage of PCI Express interface - AXIOM? is a full family of modules
Full support for ATI FlexFit? technology

But be carefull before buy a new graphics card. You MUST be certain that the cooling system of the future card is correct to handle a more powerful card. Don<t forget that a X800 is more powerful and who says more [pwerful says that generates more heat than the X600. So your cooling system must be compatible with the X800 ( I say X800 because if you really want to improve performances, you should consider that the X800 is a better choice than the X700 ).

So going to a computer store is can be good to be certain of what you want to do...

Collapse -
Thanks Ghost26
by oblig / May 6, 2006 8:09 AM PDT
In reply to: Yes ...

Can i ask just one more question, do you know any good web sites that mabe give me help or actually do the work for me. I have been in a few shops near where i live and they are not that helpfull (to be quite hounest it was them that told me it cannot be changed). And is it just a case of unpluging and repluging the new graphics card in (like pc graphics cards). Im a keen gamer and want the best i can get for my laptop.

Many Thanks

Collapse -
Well ...
by Ghost26-20878886633866019035262628200812 / May 6, 2006 8:48 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks Ghost26

Well... I am not sure of what I said about the graphics card upgrade. I simply told you what the ATI Website told me. AXIOM technology is like the MXM nVIDIA technology. These techs are the same and I THINK that you can upgrade it. I am not very certain ...

The best is to inform you in a store. Ask them what is the AXIOM technology and how ( if it is well what I think about this technology ) to exchange the graphics controller. On the ATi website, they say that the AXIOM tech support the FlexFit technology: FlexFit?
ATI's FlexFit? technology brings together the Mobility? family of pin-compatible mobile graphics processors and the most competitive IGP products in the industry for AMD and Intel, with one common driver for all solutions

Pin-to-pin compatible means that you can exchange a graphics card for another card. I only did a simply deduction. Maybe what I say is false ... But if I well understand the meaning of the words, this tell me that it is possible to upgrade an ATi Mbility Radeon X600.

Ask to the Notebook Forums about your question. I am also active a little bit on this forum and I will see if they agree with me. Ask to them about the AXIOM tech and see what they say about this. Tips : use the same nickname if you decide to subscribe to this forum. My nickname on all my forums ( about 6 ! ) is Ghost26.

Also, make a call to your technicial service of your computer manufacturer. Maybe a tech can anwser you. Ask the same question that you asked on the Notebook forums.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?