Computer Help forum

General discussion

Laptop giving off Noisy sounds and constantly shutting down

by st_loosh / January 16, 2007 5:13 AM PST

Where do I begin...
I have a simple system. Just needed a computer to get me online and to save all my docs and photos; so my system is a Dell Inspiron Laptop 1000; purchased 9/2004.(Windows XP Home Ed. SP 2, Intel Celeron 1.8?).
I have only had 1 problem with this baby before (in 2005, used to shut down whenever I adjusted the laptop screen); but it was fixed (mailed to Dell techs and received back in 2005). Just 5 nights ago, computer started to give off a loud sound ( like some rocket ship ready to take off ( pardon my imagination!)...but it has never given off a sound like this before. Imediately I thought the fan was being obstructed; but I did not see anything...then the computer's mouse stopped react to any of my movements and neither would the Ctrl-Alt-Del sequence was doing anything. Then the evil Error message came up saying that Windows had to close because an error happened. I honestly cant remember what the message says; cause since that day, a different error message has always popped up...either on a blue background or a black one...at that point I would have to force my computer off...then the fan-noise would linger for a few moments and then would stop...After last Thursday; I have not even been able to get to the Startup screen...it has always stopped me from even seeing the Welcome screen

If that is not bad enough..I have tried to restart a couple of times...I have contacted Dell 3 times...have pressed the F2, F8 and F12 buttons to run all manner of diagnostic tests on the thing...The Dell Tech #1 had me remove memory cover, battery and hard drive and reinsert all of them; but none of those did anything (in fact, the Dell tech needed to contact his Supervisor because he has not been able to help me ( heck..he even took my telephone # and trys to call every other day to see if anything has changed!!)

, so in a nutshell; when I press my "on" button...the evil loud system sounds starts off ( and it changes its pitch if laptop is moved from side to side, or back to front)..then the word "DELL" flashes on the screen..then "Microsoft Windows XP- Home Edition", and then it goes black and a Black screen with white words comes on ( or a blue error screen) and at that point I cant do anything but shut the thing down...

I have run a Diagnostic Sympton check on "Windows portrays a blue error screen" (as per Mr. DELL technician #1) and there were no errors, I have run an Express Diagnostic test ( as per Ms. DELL technician #2) and my computer says all is fine...yet, when I try to start the ****** in "last known configuration", "normal" or even "safe mode" the error screen comes up again...my sister and I think its going to explode cause it sounds worse ever time a technician tells me to force it off and start it up again.

Right now...no one has been able to help. My laptop is now at home running the Extensive Diagnostic test which started some 15 hours ago...(YES 15 hours ago...I have my sister monitoring it at home...since 7pm last night its only up to 74% completed and it has FINALLY given me the first error message in 5 days...(error message: 0F00:0228)

So
Can my baby be saved??? Should I start shopper for another one Sad
I have 9 months of a DELL warranty on it...Thanks guys....I am at my wit's end with this one!!!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Laptop giving off Noisy sounds and constantly shutting down
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Laptop giving off Noisy sounds and constantly shutting down
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
To me this sounds like the fan has issues.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 16, 2007 5:17 AM PST

Are you in warranty? Let them fix it.

Not? Are you the do it yourself type that will replace it yourself? Call Dell and get the parts.

Bob

Collapse -
Thanks!!
by st_loosh / January 16, 2007 5:36 AM PST

I thought so....yes, I am still in warrantly..but they have not even given me the option of mailing it in as yet....and I need them to look at it ( I still have 9 months of DELL's full warrantly on it)

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?