Laptops forum

General discussion

Laptop Gets Really Hot

by m.afshari / November 16, 2003 2:48 PM PST

Hello

I Own a Fujitsu E-7010 (P4 1.8Ghz), when the processor is busy at 100% rate ( for example when running a pc game), the device gets really hot, and the heat that comes out of the fan is so hot that if you hold your hand for more than 5-10 seconds it will somehow burn!!

is this normal in notebooks?

Thanx

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Laptop Gets Really Hot
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Laptop Gets Really Hot
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Laptop types.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 16, 2003 8:09 PM PST
In reply to: Laptop Gets Really Hot

The laptop market seems to be taking a few forks.

-> Laptops for occasional usage.
-> Desktop replacement models.

The desktop replacement versions are a bit bigger and are meant for 8 hour stints. Many units are built for hour long usage.

Given the nature of your issue, and the possible burn and fire hazard, have you contacted the laptop's service center to hear their response?

Bob

Collapse -
Re:Laptop Gets Really Hot
by David Chan / November 17, 2003 6:10 AM PST
In reply to: Laptop Gets Really Hot

When you constantly run your Laptop CPU @ 100% playing games the CPU will generate a lot of heat and tight confine space of the case doesn't help.

You should moderate the use to avoid damage to the Laptop or suffer any injury by placing the Laptop on your lap!

You can D/L this motherboard monitor utility to check on the operating temperature of your CPU & MoBo:
http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=311

Does the laptop shut down or emit any warning beeps due to the heat?

Collapse -
Re:Re:Laptop Gets Really Hot
by m.afshari / November 18, 2003 10:00 AM PST

Hello

I have not contacted fujitsu directly, because i taught maybe this could be normal on desktop replacements ( E-7010 was a desktop replacement a year ago which i boutgh it).

no warning messages or anything has ever appeard regarding over heating or anything.

and by the way thanx for the link you have provided. let me use the program and see what are the results.

Collapse -
We melted the plastic case on a few.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 18, 2003 10:36 AM PST

The heat was so intense after a week of running the plastic deformed and melted on a desktop replacement type laptop.

Be sure to keep an eye out for that issue since a replacement casing is next to impossible to obtain in a few years.

Bob

Collapse -
Re:Re:Laptop Gets Really Hot
by m.afshari / November 18, 2003 10:35 AM PST

Hi the program doesnt seem to support intel chipsets for laptops. for my laptop its 845MP, but in the Motherboard Monitor Configuration Wizard section of the motherboard program utility, in the intel section there are only names for desktop motherboards i guess such as: D845BG or d845HV.

any help on this?

thanx

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Laptop Gets Really Hot
by David Chan / November 18, 2003 12:05 PM PST
Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Re:Laptop Gets Really Hot
by m.afshari / November 18, 2003 1:40 PM PST

I have installed aida32, i guess the temperature of the cpu should be shown in the sensor section of the program, but nothing is shown there in my case?

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Laptop Gets Really Hot
by David Chan / November 19, 2003 12:01 AM PST

If it's an Intel MoBo and AIDA32 has identified the make/model of the MoBo you can try going to Intel's site and D/L a utility called Intel Active Monitor.
This constantly monitors your MoBo & CPU Temperature as well as the Voltage & all fans and you can check the readings in real time.
If it overheats or the fan is too slow or the voltage spikes it will emit an alarm.

It's a great utility that I've used for my Desktop with an Intel MoBo.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.