Computer Help forum

Alert

Laptop Freezes When Closed; Related Wireless Problems

by adamst1205 / August 9, 2013 3:36 AM PDT

Let me preface this by saying I'm not the most tech-savy individual out there, but I'm more capable than most people. I've spent collectively dozens of hours in the past year trying to find a similar problem online to this on forums online and have come up short after trying several things. I think there's some sort of data log I can access through through the command prompt that might help people ascertain the problem, please let me know if that would help.

I'm running windows 7 on a custom (and pricey(you'd think this wouldn't be a problem)) sony vaio laptop, purchased about a year ago if that helps.

So here are the problems: Everytime I shut my laptop to enter sleep mode it freezes, then within a few minutes will shut itself down, (the kind of shutdown that makes me have to reboot through that crash screen thing, you know what I mean); I frequently have my wireless internet connection switch to a limited access state where I can't do anything online; when this happens, messing with my network stuff (running a diagnostics check, opening properties, disconnecting/reconnecting attempts) will result in "microsoft explorer" crashing - after it "restores" itself, clicking on the wireless thing in the bottom right of my screen (if its even there) will give me no results, and I need to reboot my computer to have any wireless abilities again.

Now heres a big peice of the puzzle, I only experience these problems at home, where I think the wireless router is one of those newer n-type ones (I don't know what that means.) When I'm at school or at a friends house I experience none of these problems and the computer runs seamlessly. Nobody else in the household experiences these problems on their laptop, desktop, tablet or whatever; only this computer has that problem. I've had the problem ever since I bought the computer. I should also note that several times I've tried re-installing the wireless driver, always to no avail.

I suspect theres something about the wireless network that doesn't allow my computer to sleep when I shut it down, and thats why it freezes, I also suspect its related to why windows explorer crashes whenever I mess with the wireless settings too much, as these problems are only experienced when I'm using this router.

I'm hoping the problem isn't that my wireless card is so outdated it can't deal with these new problems, because dishing out 1600 for this computer last summer made me assume I wouldn't have to deal with stupid issues like this.

For the past year I've just been dealing with this without asking for help on a forum and now I can't take it anymore. I don't want to pay Sony 500 dollars to fix a problem that it had out of the box. Please let me know what additional information might be required to ascertain the problem, and how I can provide that information. Solving this problem will alleviate an unbelievable amount of frustration which I experience daily, please help!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Laptop Freezes When Closed; Related Wireless Problems
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Laptop Freezes When Closed; Related Wireless Problems
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
That's a long post and I can't find model and more.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 9, 2013 3:41 AM PDT

But there is a clue in there which is -> "as these problems are only experienced when I'm using this router. "

That's fantastic since a router is cheaper than any service call for router or laptop.

As to the sleep issue, try hibernate next and my bet is that Sony and most techs will have you restore the machine to factory condition and if it still hangs then it's time to get it repaired.
Bob

Collapse -
I would like to fix this problem without changing the route.
by adamst1205 / August 9, 2013 3:57 AM PDT

I'm living at my parents house now and lets just say replacing their router isn't an option. I'm sorry my post was lengthy, I'm just trying to be as thorough in my explanation as I can.

In the past I have returned the computer to factory condition, if you read my post you'd know that the problem is something I've experienced since out of the box (under factory conditions the problem remains...). I need to know if there's something I can do to alter my settings or change my driver to fix this. Because the router yields no problems on any other devices, hopefully there should be a way for me to change something on this computer to fix the problem. Ill try switching laptop closing preferences to see if that solves that aspect of the problem, but that won't stop the rest of my computer's wireless issues.

Collapse -
Re: changing router
by Kees_B Forum moderator / August 9, 2013 4:06 AM PDT

How about using your own wireless access point (fed from your parents router)? Use a different channel to prevent interference.

Kees

Collapse -
Some questions on your idea
by adamst1205 / August 9, 2013 4:31 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: changing router

I don't really understand the lingo but are you saying that I should do something to change the wireless channel on the main computer connected to the house? Or are you saying that I should create my own access point on the computer thats having the problem?

Here's the thing, I'm not allowed to touch the computer connected to the wireless router, I know crazy, living here is like living in the Third Reich and unfortunately messing with my parents things are out of the question. If you think that might be the only way to solve this problem though let me know.

If you meant creating my own access point on this computer, I still don'r really understand what that means, but in the cmd promp as admin I've typed the following as dictated by another website:

netsh wlan set hostednetwork mode=allow ssid=itgeekdiary key=[whatmypasswordis]

I don't know what that really did or how to continue from there though....

Collapse -
Re: WAP
by Kees_B Forum moderator / August 9, 2013 5:44 AM PDT

What I meant was the following.

1. You buy a WAP (or a router that can be configured as a WAP).
2. You connect it (wired) to your parents router or ask the parent that is system manager to do it for you. It's only a problem if all 4 LAN ports are already in use.
3. You set your WAP to another channel than your parents router uses (as far away as possible )
4. Now you have your own wireless network (using another SSID and another channel, it's like the network of your neighbours that you can't use because you don't know the password). Since the issue only occurs with the wireless network of your parents (so you say) your issue should be solved.

Kees

Collapse -
Since it happened new, out of the box.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 9, 2013 4:32 AM PDT

This is a clear warranty issue and not something cheap to fix. You ruled out a common fix so this is the end. That is, nothing folk here will be accepted by you it seems.

Sony is your next stop.
Bob

Collapse -
Ugh, just stop
by adamst1205 / August 9, 2013 5:09 AM PDT

Look, I don't have any reason to believe I can't fix the problem on my own, from this computer. I'm not going to go out and spend $60+ on a new n-generation router when the one in place seems to work fine with every other device in the house. My computer works perfectly on every other router I've encountered so I don't think this is a hardware issue. This means there should be a way for me to fix my computer with some good troubleshooting advice, which clearly you can't offer.

I'm willing to accept and try any and all advised options in terms of what I can do on my own, whether it involves changing drivers, modifying wireless settings, or whatever. Clearly you have no helpful or positive advice to offer on your own, and you have been nothing but critical of me and my pleas for help. I don't understand why you are wasting your time monitoring and posting in this thread if you're just going to be negative and unhelpful.

Sending my computer to Sony a diagnostics evaluation and repair is clearly pointless as long as I have reason to believe the hardware is running fine, and I have a smart head on my shoulders and good, positive help from people with astute troubleshooting advice. Post one more dismissive or negative comment in this thread and I'm going to report you.

Collapse -
Not at all dismissive.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 9, 2013 5:15 AM PDT
In reply to: Ugh, just stop

I offered a common workaround to the issue and given the story it's clearly a warranty issue.

I have seen a lot of folk lose their laptop by delaying a call to the maker's support. That is, it's broke when out of the box but they think they can deal with it.

Best of luck and I'll track this thread to see if you find a cure outside of what's been offered so far.
Bob

Collapse -
Common Walkaround?
by adamst1205 / August 9, 2013 5:37 AM PDT
In reply to: Not at all dismissive.

Telling me to send my computer back to the manufacturers before making an effort to determine the exact problem I'm facing is completely useless advice, and is the type of decision I clearly am trying to avoid by coming to a forum like this in the first place.

Your idea of buying a new router won't necessarily guarantee that this problem will be fixed, especially when its apparent the router works on every other device. Its very possible this problem is specific to n-generation routers, and I don't want to make my family revert to a g-generation router if i can fix the problem with troubleshooting. If its 100% clear that buying the new router is the only solution then yes, I will do that. But I have a strong reason to believe the problem is software - not hardware - based, which means I shouldn't have to spend a dime to fix the problem.

At the very least we should be able to ascertain the problem through troubleshooting, and that will save me over 200 dollars in a diagnostics exam from Sony. If its clear that its a problem that can't be solved through this forum then I will have to send it in. But I'm not going to take your advice to start shelling out money until I've at least made a solid effort to tackle this problem on my own.

I was under the impression the main purpose of tech forums (such as this) is to explore diy options before just throwing money at the problem like a schmuck.

Collapse -
My idea costs nothing.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 9, 2013 6:11 AM PDT
In reply to: Common Walkaround?

But we see folk flame at anyone that offers ideas. It's something we come to expect since the position they are in is not a happy one. Often they have exhausted the usual ideas and so far all I see is a defect right out of the box.

Where did I write to pay for this round?
Bob

Collapse -
More System Info; Attempt to Change Closing Preference
by adamst1205 / August 9, 2013 4:11 AM PDT

Hibernate is not an option for my computer, only "shutdown," "sleep," or "sleep" upon closing the laptop. Regardless that would only solve a small part of my problem.

I have some more system specs, if there's something you need to help please tell me what it is instead of just griping.

I'm runnning Windows 7 Home Premium, 64-bit OS. Service Pack 1
Manufacturer: Sony Electronics Inc.
For "Model" it simply says: "Vaio[copyright] Computer"
- I suspect that because It was customized on the website its not practical to be specific in disclosing a model type, however my laptop physically has the letters "VPCSB" printed on the surface if that helps.

As i stated I'm not the most tech savvy, but please just let me know what additional information might be required and I'll gladly do my best to provide it.

Collapse -
Is this your model?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 9, 2013 6:20 AM PDT
http://www.docs.sony.com/release/VPCSB1_VPCSC1_series.pdf

About page 164 does mention Hibernate so it appears that is a supported feature. I'd try it if this is a 2011 model and you have no warranty. Cheaper than the alternatives.

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/189127-computer-freezes-sony-vaio-vpcsb-2011-model-windows-7-xp-pro.html is notable only in the sense no one answers (yet.)

I would offer ideas about drivers but so far you've supplied the SERIES and not the exact model.

I know this seems to be asking a lot of you but I can't check on drivers and more without the exact model.
Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!