Laptops forum

General discussion

Laptop Freezes sometimes with Loud Beep

OK. Hello!
I think there are kind of similar topics like this but just thought I'd create a new one for my issue.

So I have a laptop. DELL Latitude D520 XP and I got it in 2007.

Issues with it now is that is hangs up/freezes sometimes with a loud Beep. Beep/hang up happens when PC is already logged onto desktop and a couple of times it has happened when Login on Start up.

Last week I saw kind of a pattern. I would view a 9-10 minute Youtube videos and it would play maybe Half of the video when everything would freeze/hang up and a loud BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP would go off. I could move the Cursor and could NOT minimize or kill it with Task Manager so I had to power it off. I would reboot and pretty much do the same thing and go to youtube and view same thing and the same freeze/beep occurs. I tried different videos and same problem occured.

I was told that maybe it can be either IE or the fan. I was told to install MOzilla, I did but same thing happens. The fan does come on but not often. I was told maybe it's over heating. I was asked if loud beep comes from Laptop or Speakers, I said Laptop so I was told it's a overheating issue but I'm not sure anymore because there are times now that it just hangs up/freezes and NO BEEP. The last time it happened I picked up laptop and it sounded like the beep WAS coming from Speakers.

Laptop does have some issues like Malware. Yesterday I tried running Malware Bytes, AVG and other things but they didn't finish because it hung up again. Internet was not being used but it hung up. After it rebooted I ran all those things again and it ran for hours and hours and left it over night. This morning it wouldn't come up, seemed to freeze but NO BEEPING.

I know I KNOW that the easiest thing to do is recovery and redue the laptop but I'm trying to avoid it because of the Adobe stuff I have on there (not legit versions) so if I can avoid it then cool.

I was told today to try swapping the memory for newer ones. I will probably try that out.

Only other issue as of virus and stuff is that when you go to Google or whatever and search for something... I get re-directed to somewhere else.

It seems now it hangs up when there's too much stuff going on no matter what it is or what I am doing. Internet comes up fine, I can check email and everything. Everything else on laptop works but eventually it hangs up. Not much of a pattern anymore that I can see except for it being used for a long period OR lots of things happening.

Not sure if this is anything serious but it has gotten really slow that after I LOGIN and the desktop icons comes up... the 'ginggle' or song that usually plays when you LOGIN plays. It's suppose to play right when it's logs you in before and at the same time as the icons appearing but now it rings/plays after like 5 minutes or so that the icons have appeared.

I have already used a compressed can. Laptop is on a flat surface but did try out putting on a book where vent would not be blocked but same thing happens.

Not sure what to do... I'm guessing continue running Virus scans and Malware to see if that is messing it up?!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Laptop Freezes sometimes with Loud Beep
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Laptop Freezes sometimes with Loud Beep
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
NOTE

In reply to: Laptop Freezes sometimes with Loud Beep

I forgot to mention....

I won't go to SAFE MODE. I tried it many times but it just freezes. It attempts but doens't go.

Also, I have tried leaving pc OFF for many hours and it'll do it anyways.

Collapse -
You mentioned it.

Collapse -
cleaning

In reply to: You mentioned it.

Only cleaning that has been done was the one I kinna mentioned above. I got a compressed air bottle and sprayed to vents. I haven't opened it up but did spray it to vent. Laptop would still hang up and make noise after using can.

Laptop doesn't really get hot ... atleast not in a abnormal state that it feels like it's overheating.

Collapse -
That's a sign.

In reply to: cleaning

If a heatsink (there are a few) lifts off then it doesn't get hot. Just the chip.

This is a yearly for the vents and once you see symptoms like your machine has you know to do the full cleaning.
Bob

Collapse -
I'm having the same issue

I have a Dell Inspiron E1705 (2006 or so) and within the last 4 months I've been experiencing the same thing. I had McAffee perform Virus Removal services on it and none were found.

Does not to appear to be any overheating issues (the machine doesn't get overly warm, nor does the fan shut on and off abnormally).

Please keep me posted if you are able to diagnose the issue.

Collapse -
have same problem

In reply to: I'm having the same issue

I got same problem with my dell D630. Would someone can share some remedy of this?

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.