Computer Help forum

General discussion

Laptop freezes during antivirus scan

by thequeenofcurdsandcream / November 28, 2009 9:37 PM PST

Recently my laptop has frozen and refused to complete an entire antivirus scan. I was using McAfee, but was advised to uninstall it and install Antivir instead, but this didn't solve the problem. I then had a new motherboard fitted, but this didn't solve the problem, so finally had the hard drive reformatted. However I'm still getting the same problem, although not as badly. The scan can't seem to proceed beyond a certain point, although it doesn't make all my other programmes go non-responsive anymore, and the computer clock doesn't stop at the time when the scan froze.

I'm running a Dell Inspiron 1525 Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T5750, with Vista SP2 and my browser is Firefox, although I've had the same problem running the scan with IE.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Laptop freezes during antivirus scan
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Laptop freezes during antivirus scan
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
There are deep issues here.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 28, 2009 10:29 PM PST

You have a choice of spending the time to be a computer repair person or try simple work arounds. I suggest you:

1. Put it on a laptop cooling pad.
2. Use the CPU speed controls to tell it to run at a lower clock rate.
This upsets some but I have a 6 year old laptop that runs fine once I did that. Cheaper than repair or replacement.
3. Do the scan in safe mode.

This will not fix issues, will not get around bad hard drives, corrupt hard drives, bad sectors or other bad hardware.

4. Unplug all USB devices, disconnect networks shares and printers.

There are options short of replacing the machine.
Bob

Collapse -
Laptop freezes during antivirus scan
by thequeenofcurdsandcream / November 29, 2009 7:22 PM PST

I am about to order a Belkin laptop cooling pad as these seem to have the best reviews. How do I alter the CPU speed?

Collapse -
Why order that?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 29, 2009 8:12 PM PST

You can test if that will help in advance by tilting up the back of the machine to give it more air.

Collapse -
Freezing computer
by R Maritz / November 29, 2009 7:41 PM PST

I have exactly the same problem with my Acer Aspire 5720.

I have tried to identify the problem. It freezes up the moment it gets to a certain file in the Cyberlink/Shared Files folder. The file name is L fpng13n.dll. I have tried a Windows Defender scan with the exact same results. I tried to uninstall the Cyberlink program, but It doesn't have an Uninstall application. The other problem is that the moment you click on the particular file, the laptop freezes up as well. This happens whether you right-click or left-click.

It is also not possible to uninstall it from the "Uninstall Programs" in control panel.

Collapse -
So why not?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 29, 2009 8:13 PM PST
In reply to: Freezing computer

Tell the scan software not to traverse or scan that directory? All scanners I know of have exceptions or places to tell it not to look in that directory. Makes you wonder why such a feature is there.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?