General discussion

Laptop for college/engineering

Hey everyone,

I'm going to college next September, to study engineering (I haven't decided which kind of engineering yet, but it's either Aerospace, Civil, Electrical and Computer, Information Systems and Computer, Mechanical or Physics) and I feel like I need a new laptop.

I need it to be able to smoothly use CAD and 3D design software, like SolidWorks, as well as any other engineering software. I want to be able to do some gaming, but nothing special nor necessarily recent (I'm perfectly happy with SNES emulators =P).

How important is having a dedicated GPU when rendering and doing other stuff like that? And is it true that quad core i7s produce considerably more heat than dual core versions? Any significant difference in processing power between dual core i5s and i7s? Also, is SSD technology going to lower in price any time soon?

In the past I've had a Toshiba Tecra A6 and right now I'm using a HP Touchsmart TX2 tablet. I'm looking for a business/sturdy style laptop, so far my top choices are:
Lenovo T, Edge, X and W series, for their excellent reputation and my father having a Lenovo T410 (as well as past IBM laptops which never failed him);

Toshiba Tecra and Portege, because of my positive experience with the Tecra A6;

Apple Macbook Pro, because of their excellent reputation and my positive experience with Apple products.

Please suggest other alternatives and recommendations. Screen sizes between 12 and 15 inch, low noise and heat, thickness and weight are not that relevant, but the least the better. My budget tops at around ?2000, maybe a little bit more.

Cheers

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Laptop for college/engineering
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Laptop for college/engineering
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments

CNET Forums