Laptops forum

General discussion

laptop for college :)

by rwx1606 / August 4, 2006 3:43 PM PDT

ah crap. Well, college is about to start in 2 weeks, and I've just begun looking into a laptop. I'm thinking about a dv5000z...because i've found countless sites (msn,yahoo, etc) where they recommend this as the best laptop for college. Not to mention, a lot of the reviews I've read are pretty good. I plan on playing games, listening to music, typing papers, watching movies...i dont know... a lot of things.

current setup for dz5000z: (1,193 w/ HP damage plan)
Windows Xp Media Center
AMD Turion(TM) 64 ML-40 (2.2GHz/1MB L2 Cache)
128MB ATI RADEON(R) XPRESS 200M w/Hypermemory(TM)
1.0GB DDR SDRAM (2x512MB)
120 GB 4200 RPM Hard Drive
LightScribe DVD+/-RW w/Double Layer
12 Cell Lithium Ion Battery

I'm going to berkeley in 2 weeks..and I'm pretty sure they're mac-friendly, but i dont really want to deal w/ learning how to use something else besdies windows.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: laptop for college :)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: laptop for college :)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You can't go wrong with it.
by jgvillan / August 4, 2006 4:41 PM PDT
In reply to: laptop for college :)

Sounds to me that you got your mind made up. HPs are good laptops, as I owned a couple of them, and always regretted giving them up. Not that there was anything wrong with them, they are reliable..just wanted the 'better' systems when they come out. Of all the HPs that I owned...Pavilions, XEs, ZEs, and now with my new DV8000, they are responsive, dependable, and I could never tire them out....even if I left them running all night listening to on-line radio. Knowing that the 8000 is similar to the 5000 that you are looking for, I would say that you can't go wrong with it. Mainly just take it out of the box, boot it up, and you are on the go. With the CPU and GPU, you will get 'decent' gaming on it, leaving graphic settings at the 'medium' level. In my experience, Nvidia GPUs are better for gaming, and the Intel Duo would certainly help. But for all other applications, writing papers, watching DVDs, surf the web, the DV5000 will last you a long time to come. Not like you are going to use this thing mainly for gaming....this isn't built for that anyways. The Dell XPS or Alienware laptops are more suited for that, but comes with a huge price tag.

Good luck at Berkely, and your HP laptop!!!! Happy

Collapse -
I would go for the "t" model
by Ghost26-20878886633866019035262628200812 / August 6, 2006 10:28 PM PDT

Go with the Core Duo model, the HP Pavilion dv5000t. I never liked AMD based laptops. With a Centrino platform, you get a better wireless solution, better graphics ( nVIDIA GeForce Go 7400 ) and better performances with a dual-core processor.

I have a Dell Inspiron 6400 ( E1505 in USA ) and I love it. I'm 14 years old and I use it for doing my homeworks and all my school things. This laptop is wonderful and have great gaming performances with the ATi Mobility Radeon X1400, which is better than the GFG7400.

Take a look to my review on my laptop, it could be useful for you :

Good luck!

Collapse -
When was the last time you used a Turion laptop?
by samkh / August 7, 2006 5:33 AM PDT

I agree you can't go wrong performance-wise with the Duo, except it costs more than even the Turion X2. In real life usage the Turion battery life is comparable to the Duo. The better wireless solution you mentioned is bogus. A mini-PCI Broadcom is as reliable as Centrino and equally easy to connect. The E1505 and dv5000t are equally good notebooks. I have Dell and HP notebooks with PM, Duo and Turion so I have first hand experience.

I would encourage rwx1606 to test drive them both at the local store and Dell kiosk to decide which appeals more.

Collapse -

Maybe the wireless solution is as reliable as the wireless chip on the Centrino platform, but since I got a more than very good experience with two Centrino-based laptops, I don't want to touch anything that is not from Intel. Nothing is better for me than the Centrino platform.

Most high-end laptops have Intel processors. Look at HP( dv8000 ), Dell ( XPS ), Toshiba, IBM ( Lenovo ), Sony ... All Intel processors with the Centrino Duo platform.

You have better components on an Intel based. On the HP side, the AMD model has integrated graphics while the Intel have a dedicated GFGo7400 !

That's why I like more Intel laptops.

Collapse -
Turions is not bad...
by jgvillan / August 7, 2006 5:30 PM PDT
In reply to: Maybe

I own an HP dv8110us, with the following:

AMD Turion 64 1.8 Ghz
1GB RAM 333 Mhz
ATI Radeon Espress 200M 128 Dedicated RAM
160 GB HDD
17" wide-screen

And I don't mind saying, I luv this laptop. Sure, its not Intel Centrino, Duo, whatever. Sure, this wasn't made as a 'gaming laptop', but it does a more than a decent job at it. It's Broadcom Wireless is very reliable, I can squeeze more than 3 hrs out of it on battery...doing the usual web browsing, emails, and word documents. Other than 'intentional' testng, my DV8110us is most reliable, and have no regrets what so ever.

I do agree that the NVidia graphics card is much better than ATI's, but dont knock out the Turion just becuase its an AMD chip. And mind you....the AMD models dont have 'integrated' graphics. Centrino's are more 'integrated' than AMD. By definition, Centrino laptops can only be called Centrino if they hold the following....Intel Pentium M, Intel Graphic, and Intel Wireless. If either the graphics/wireless is not intel, then they are simply referred to as a Pentium (M, Duo, Whatever) laptop.

Hope that clears things up.

Collapse -
Like jgvillan
by samkh / August 9, 2006 3:15 AM PDT
In reply to: Maybe

I too bought a Turion notebook recently after owning nothing but Celeron, P3, PM and Duo up till then. The ATI x300 is perfectly adequate for 2D tasks and the Broadcom as I said before is as good at signal strength and connectivity at various hotspots as Intel's 2915 or 3945 wi-fi. If a buyer wants terrific 3D experience, shouldn't they be gettting a gaming desktop? Paying the price for a high performance 3D card in a laptop at this time just doesn't make sense, unless you are a design engineer or sales person trying to demonstrate your latest whiz bang invention/product (game?) at your customer's site and you don't want to haul a desktop there.

btw, re your comments about integration, the parties involved (Intel, AMD, Broadcom, ATI, NVidia, etc) have pretty much figured out that it's to their mutual benefit if everything is plug and play compatible. Even that is happening with desktop components, let alone notebooks where manufacturers have to ensure their products (mostly ODM'd by Taiwan and China companies) are fully functional. Real benefits of higher integration are reduced cost, weight, longer battery life and sometimes better performance where high freq. throughput is affected, but not functionality.

Also, do not mistake standalone GPUs for standalone video RAMs. Most notebooks nowadays share main RAM with the integrated or standalone GPU for reasons of economy, space-saving and heat reduction. Some notebooks fix the amount of video RAM consumed and some vary it depending on application. For this reason 512MB is much better than 256MB to avoid disk swapping by Windows. Going up to 1GB for less than $100 is worthwhile.

Intel still dominate notebooks because AMD is a latecomer. Notebook CPU performance, much like desktop CPU performance, are high enough now for mainstream usage that the focus has shifted to other factors like cache efficiency, cooling and battery life. Intel is still ahead in these so it sells at a price premium (thus "higher-end" notebooks). In the end, it's all an economic decision isn't it? Buy the best if you're rolling in dough or buy a just adequate notebook if you're a starving student.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?