Laptops forum

Question

Laptop for architect

I am looking for a new laptop that I can run Autodesk Revit Architecture on it. I figure it probably has to be an i7 quad core
with at least 8g of ram, a 1g graphic card and above 500g hard-drive to be
efficient. Back-lid keyboard and Bluetooth would be nice too. My
budget is around a thousand.

Which brand is in general better? I have an old
Toshiba that is almost 10 yrs old. I have a lot of confidence in Toshiba
but their design is kind of not attractive. I have looked into Samsung
7series. They have a nice simple design but not sure how good they
are. How are HP and Dell? I like the design of Mac but I don't
think they are worth the price.

Note: This post was edited by a forum moderator to remove unintended HTML codes from post on 02/02/2012 at 5:09 PM PT

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Laptop for architect
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Laptop for architect
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
First, brand. Ford or Chevy?

In reply to: Laptop for architect

Most of the hardware is the Ford or Chevy discussion. After you get past that you want to look at the LCD DISPLAY and see which you can stand. Here I have to use an extra monitor for my CAD work. Picture of the older setup at:
http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w146/rproffitt2000/desktop2.jpg

This is why I'm back to the 15.4 inch laptop. It has the i7m, 1GB video card and its aluminum case keeps it cool than most units. It's an older Samsung rc512.

It was well under 1K and I'd do that again. There must be some hundred possible units out there today.
Bob

Collapse -
what about HP?

In reply to: First, brand. Ford or Chevy?

Sorry for the code thing. The one you have in the picture is a HP. How do you like it? Someone also recommends HP to me. yeah, because there are so many option out there it's really hard to pick the right one.

Collapse -
Sadly I can't write nice about HP.

In reply to: what about HP?

It's a story of a bug in their laptop. It was just a few months old so I decided to call it in. More than 8 hours on the phone and remote support they finally have me send it in. That's the last I ever got to use that laptop. HP's repair made the machine unstable and lock up in about 5 minutes. More calls, more hours and HP's support tolk me there was nothing they could do. So I'm out one laptop.

9 months after I bought it some HP social rep noticed my posts about their lack of service and offered to try again but as I no longer had the laptop it was too late. Why would I keep a dead laptop for 6 months?

HP may have been a fine company long ago but something got lost in my opinion.

I'd shop elsewhere.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Well i have a friend that is an

architect and he has a program call archicad. It's actually free to use and they have a flash drive that has a code on it when you purchase that activates the ability to print your designs. He doesn't have the most powerfull machine but it still does the job.

Collapse -
Answer
You might take a look at...

Some while ago, a client asked me to look for a laptop "with a big screen" for some design work he was doing (a 3D package that he used to design houses). We got down to a shortlist of two, an ASUS G74 and a Toshiba Qosmio, both sporting the then latest Intel 2nd generation Core i7 quad core. The ASUS was 17.3" and the Tosh 18.4". They were both gaming laptops and came in at around USD 1300 or so. They were not pretty and weighed a ton - you'd need a very strong lap to hold these babies! In the end, he didn't go for either - too heavy. He settled for an Apple iMAC 27" and a 15.6" laptop from Lenovo. Your mileage will vary!

Collapse -
Answer
CPU, RAM, SSD

My shortlist for design-ready laptops is Lenovo ThinkPad W530, Dell Precision E6530, HP EliteBook 8570w and HP EliteBook 8770w - these are mobilne workstations that will work just fine in 2D, 3D or CAD environments. One drawback is their size and weight, with Lenovo coming out top in this respect. They are great if you need a machine to get things done, less so if you are after a laptop for presentations, documentation and work on the go.

Collapse -
Answer
The brand question is a bit over done.

Apple is leading on that one. Tosh's Quismo (?) is the their high performance model but let's look at CNET here.

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-3121_7-57578886-220/the-best-windows-8-gaming-laptops/

The Lenovo y500 in that lineup has been updated with Haswell and here there is a very popular model for 999 on Amazon. For a little more you can move to a 1080 screen.
Bob

PS. This thread is more than 575 days old. But it's a good question which the answer has changed.

Collapse -
Answer
I have a friend that uses Archicad.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.