Question

Laptop for a blogger/writer

Hello,

I am a blogger and a writer mostly using old macbook pro. My computer does a good job, but it's big and heavy, getting old, and it's also the only computer I have. I want to leave it home and look into getting a new laptop to take with me when I work. Here is what I need:

- a *light* computer
- backlit keyboard (working in dim-lit cafes can be very hard)
- good battery life (at least 4 hours running Chrome with over 20 tabs, including videos
- unibody keyboard, if possible.
- 13" screen size. 11 is too small for me, 15 becomes to heavy and big.

Obviously, the computer I'm looking for would be a macbook air, but these are very expensive. I'm looking for something cheap, maybe even used.

What can help is that I don't need the best and newest computer; far from it. I just need it to be able to run Chrome and not freeze when I'm loading some photo editing app.

So, any suggestions?

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Laptop for a blogger/writer
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Laptop for a blogger/writer
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
Did you try those ultrabooks?
- Collapse -
A specific example.
- Collapse -
More details

I need to go over these... but I do need something with a backlit keyboard for sure. Anyone owns one of these computers here?

And about the"freeze" it's just that with my netbook that I used to have, it would slow down to even a freezse if I had more than a few tabs open, let along a heavy duty app. I want the new computer to be able to handle that and some software, such as screen and video capturing apps, webcams calls, etc.

- Collapse -
A netbook is

Often a nice budget item. We stressed them under our apps at the office and no lockups. They did run slowly and some may call it frozen but as the task was completed the machine returned to it's usual slow nature.

The office has a few Macbook Airs but for ultrabooks, none with a backlight and all of them are no longer made. The industry product cycles are very short.
Bob

CNET Forums