HolidayBuyer's Guide

Laptops forum

General discussion

Laptop Fails to print after resuming from standby.

by diogenes009 / December 15, 2007 5:29 PM PST

I am having a difficult time with our new laptops at work. It has fallen on me to set them up and get them working in our vehicles.

They are mounted on docking stations in the cars and are attached by USB to a scanner and by paralell port to a printer.

The hardware is a General Dynamics GoBook VR-2 laptop connected to a scanner and a Pentax Pocketjet II printer. The OS is Windows XP SP2.

Here is the problem: Everything works from a fresh boot, but if the computer goes into standby or hibernate when it resumes the printer will not print. If you reboot, the document will print. Obviously, the link to the printer is not being re-established on resume. Rebooting after each resume is not a workable solution.

I have searched high and low on the net and only find the question, usually not answered. I have the latest drivers, I updated the OS, I checked the device manager and I checked the BIOS. There are no issues being reported and the settings for all appear to be correct.

I have currently disabled standby and hibernate on the laptops. This is not optimal, as they are in vehicles that are subject to vibration and jarring and I fear for the HDs. They should be sent to standby when the vehicle is in motion. This was the case with the prior installations and there were no issues.

I assume the problem lies with how resume from standby is executed. Surely there is a way to get the connection to the printer on resume.

Any assistance would be greatfully accepted.

dio

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Laptop Fails to print after resuming from standby.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Laptop Fails to print after resuming from standby.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Call GD.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 16, 2007 12:39 AM PST

I worked for them in another product. I know they moved to secure com and other rugged systems.

I do NOT offer a fix. I do know it's driver related. There is NO BUTTON IN WINDOWS to find the latest drivers. We have to do this the old fashioned way.

JUST SHARING that in XP and Vista I do have a few Bluetooth modules that have this issue. The drivers are buggy and there is no sign they'll fix them. My fix? I replaced the modules with another make.

Bob

Collapse -
The drivers in question aren't GDs.
by diogenes009 / December 16, 2007 2:22 AM PST
In reply to: Call GD.

Thanks for the reply. GD has pretty good customer service, I've been pleased with it.

The drivers for the Pentax Pocketjet II are from Pentax and the drivers for LPT1 and the docking station are the generic Microsoft drivers circa 2001.

I really think this is going to be an issue with standby, things work fine after a reboot. My suspicion is that the answer will be a setting buried in the registry which needs to be changed to force the computer to relink with the printer on resume. I, however, am no registry mechanic and I only go there with map, compass and a native guide. Innoculations might be in order too.

Collapse -
I forget a nugget.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 16, 2007 3:25 AM PST

I'm having some success with flipping the LEGACY USB setting in the bios of some machines.

Sorry, I do not have a cure for you. Just agreeing it looks like the same old same old driver issues.

I see you note some 2001 driver. Those did work fine but the drivers I suspect are motherboard chipset drivers.

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.