Laptops forum

Question

laptop 'explosion'

Hi there,

Hoping someone can help here... last night while my laptop was sitting plugged in there was a loudish whoosh/poof sound, like a tiny explosion, that came from the area of the computer. I was out of the room but heard it. Only later I realised that the battery was now not charging any more. I only discovered this when it was too late - 10% battery remaining. I tried a new fuse in the plug but to no avail. I was working on important stuff due to be handed n tomorrow but now the power's completely drained.

Does anyone have any idea what the issue is here and how it might be solved? Any help appreciated.

Thanks,
MV

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: laptop 'explosion'
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: laptop 'explosion'
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
See the top posts in this forum.

In reply to: laptop 'explosion'

There are only a few parts in these laptops so you replace the blown parts to get it working again. As to your paper, you quick fix is to put the laptop HDD into some enclosure and re-gain access to your work.

I have to ask the following. With DropBox and more out there why would anyone risk losing access and backup of their work?
Bob

Collapse -
thanks

In reply to: See the top posts in this forum.

Hey Bob, thanks for the info. Got some advice earlier and seems it's an easy fix, thankfully.

Re. Drop box etc... I'm a journalist and filmmaker and am just not trusting enough of online securities to have my works in progress - movie footage, scripts, contracts etc - floating around somewhere other than my home or office. Everything's backed up daily but I just wasn't at the point where I had done so when the computer died yesterday.

Mv

Collapse -
Hope you get your stuff back soon.

In reply to: thanks

The old trick of putting the drive into some enclosure is an old one. The only trouble I run into is with drive encryption. You can imagine such makes backups a necessity. Sometimes folk learn this lesson first hand.
Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.