PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Laptop eats batteries - maybe

by johndsparks / May 23, 2006 5:32 PM PDT

My HP Omnibook Pavilion ZT1175 seems to kill its battery after about 1 month with a new battery. I've replaced the battery three times, and the battery company won't replace it again. The unit worked fine on the initial battery for more than a year and has worked fine with each new battery, charging and discharging normally, for about one month. Then, while on battery operation, the computer suddenly shuts down, and, from thenceforward, it will not work without the charger/power supply and it indicates that the battery is no good, i.e., the orange light indicates normal charging for a few hours after the battery is installed, but then turns red - indicating a bad battery. This current behavior is repeatable without variation.

The battery wizard (Control Panel|power options|battery optimizer) says it's not a supported battery, but it does provide status information indicating that the current is 0 ma and the voltage is ~11.4V. I checked the connector, and assuming the pin numbers start from the right looking at the connector from its side of the battery, pin 1 (the lone pin on the right) appears to be ground and pin 5 (the fourth to the left of the notch) appears to be +11.4V. Pins 2,3,4 and 6 have <.05V to gnd, and pin 7 (on the left) is about 0.18V to gnd. I assume that one pin (presumably pin 5) is the voltage sensing terminal and that one or more of the others should also have B+ voltage from which one could draw current - but they don't seem to.

Can anyone make sense of this - or, better, tell me how to get a schematic and pinout of the HP Omnibook charging circuit? I've been unsuccessful finding this information via Google or the local computer shop.

Any help will be appreciated!

Aloha from Kona

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Laptop eats batteries - maybe
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Laptop eats batteries - maybe
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Given our current repair situations...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 23, 2006 9:29 PM PDT

No one will dive into the mainboard's circuitry with ohm meter, oscilloscope, schematics to find and fix the board. Today's repair shop would change out the mainboard or boards that do said charging and see if that fixed it.

What you can do is try the latest BIOS for the board since some boards have power management that is controlled by the BIOS.

Bob

Collapse -
Mahalo, Bob.
by johndsparks / May 24, 2006 8:02 AM PDT

Thanks for the info, Bob. I don't want somebody else to do it, I was hoping to figure something out myself. It still seems to me that the problem may be in the battery or the connector, and I'd at least like to verify that for myself. Because nobody's willing to work on these things, does that mean they don't even publish schematics?? Somebody @ HP must know this problem and what to do about it, but they obviously aren't in the customer service business anymore. Oh, for the good old days!!

Appreciate your prompt response to both my queries.

Collapse -
You bet.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 24, 2006 9:58 AM PDT
In reply to: Mahalo, Bob.

I haven't seen schematics for such products in about a decade. The companies are paranoid about this as they feel they will be ripped off. So the service today is not board repair but to replace the board.

Sometimes we get lucky and find a burnt part so we'll change that and hope.

bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.