Laptops forum

General discussion

Laptop: dv6500 problem with display

by matt755811 / December 29, 2008 7:03 AM PST

i have owned a HP dv6500 laptop for almost 16 months now. about 2 weeks ago i opened it up to find colored lines all over the screen - covering top to bottom and left to right. the computer still worked and still held a charge but i could not see the picture - still can't. i was told by HP on the phone that it's a hardware malfunction and they wouldn't be able to fix it b/c it's out of warranty unless i paid $400. for that kind of money i should just get a new laptop. is a new screen all i would need to fix this problem? i have hooked it up to an external monitor and it the picture does come up. can you help me with my options? i originally paid $1000 for this laptop. thanks for any help you can provide....-matt

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Laptop: dv6500 problem with display
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Laptop: dv6500 problem with display
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Yup.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 29, 2008 10:36 AM PST

Did you call HP and talk to them. That's a well known issue and around here about a dozen so far just in my neck of the woods have been fixed by HP replacing the motherboard. Only a few people still have the issue but they didn't call it in and sit there with a busted machine. Hope they don't wait too long.
Bob

Collapse -
By talk to them I mean talk nice.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 29, 2008 10:37 AM PST
In reply to: Yup.

You need to keep your cool, and keep asking for an elevation to your issue. You're not that only one with this failure and others have got it fixed. If you ever lost your temper with them I doubt you'll get it fixed.
Bob

Collapse -
i have tried talking to them
by matt755811 / December 29, 2008 8:50 PM PST

thanks for responding. unfortunately i have lost my temper - i was not yelling but was upset on the phone. i escalated it to an acct manager that just kept reiterating that HP stands by its warranty. i was going to try and write a letter "the the ceo" which is an option on their website. other than talking to HP, there is no other solution? it is a problem with the motherboard? i have been told by others to try and remove the laptop screen and put it back on to see if the issue is there.

Collapse -
If you do that, it's game over.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 29, 2008 10:26 PM PST

If the owner takes the engine out of their GM/Ford/other machine and puts it back in then there will be no possible (out of) warranty (free) repair.)

I know one that paid the shipping. I know another that wanted 1 day express service and more and was denied, lost their cool and now have a dead laptop. There's a lesson here. I can't write this over and over but think "cool as a cucumber" or rather, never lose it.

-> Write that letter. Be clear and to the point that you hear others have failed and tell of the failures BEFORE that 1 year was up. Have it proof read to make sure you didn't flame anyone.

Sorry to hear that this one didn't get fixed. But keep in mind that you are out of warranty and it's all up to the good graces of HP to help you out. It does not matter there is/was/could be a defect. You are asking a lot and must never lose your cool (keep that in mind.)

Nothing I can do here except to tell the stories and hope you didn't make a demand for 1 day all expenses paid repair air courier and "save my data" repair. Be overly reasonable. Do not give them an exit by yelling, being angry or demanding they pay for everything. You want to get the new mainboard. That would be a cheap repair.
Bob

Collapse -
i will write the letter
by matt755811 / December 29, 2008 10:34 PM PST

tell of the failures before the one year is up? shouldn't i speak to failures that occured after the one year since that's the situation i'm in?

Collapse -
The failures before 1 year do matter.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 29, 2008 11:02 PM PST

The issue with the video that I have run into this line show up (usually) in the first year. But some think it's a Windows issue and don't call it in. They didn't know they were building their case for that just out of warranty repair.

There are web pages about how to craft this letter but the story of your machine's troubles are hopefully there with crashes and reloads of the OS a dozen times in the 18 months you owned the machine.

Best of luck,
Bob

Collapse -
question about letter
by matt755811 / December 29, 2008 11:18 PM PST

would you mind if after i create the letter i send to you for a look?

Collapse -
Just post the text here.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 29, 2008 11:20 PM PST
In reply to: question about letter

Our members will comment on it.
Bob

Collapse -
my letter to HP
by matt755811 / December 30, 2008 12:01 AM PST

I didn?t mention anything about the reloading the OS or other people who have run into the same issue ? I had trouble locating info on the same problem and thought HP could see right through that when they read the letter. Below is what I came up with. I would greatly appreciate any feedback from folks on this site. Thanks all for your help!

Dear CEO,

I purchased an HP notebook model dv6500 in August of 2007. I purchased the laptop with a one year warranty which expired in August 2008. Just this December I began to have issues with my laptop. This letter is my attempt at explaining the issue from the beginning, including my experience with HP, and submitting a request for HP to repair the damage.

This laptop was my first purchase with HP. It came with all the necessary components needed to handle heavy multimedia tasking. For 16 months I had been very happy with my computer and HP service. The notebook had seen no physical damage, and minimal travel.

One morning in December I woke up to find that the display screen on my laptop had become faulty. After speaking online with an HP Care Representative, I was informed that the problem is cause by an ?internal hardware malfunction? which required ?diagnostic repair.? The representative continued to explain that my only option was to send the unit back to an HP Service Center where it would cost me $398 to repair.

The notebook held a large amount of personal data (music, pictures, documents, etc) that I have since transferred to another computer. Although the laptop display is faulty, I was able to hook up the PC to another external monitor to transfer my data.

I have spoken to others that have run into the same issue with this HP notebook model. These folks were able to reach an agreement with HP to have the motherboard replaced at no additional cost.

In my experience with HP, online and via telephone, representatives were helpful and succinct; however, I maintain that because of this recent hardware failure, my relationship with HP has suffered. I would like to continue as a customer of HP, sustaining a healthy relationship, and I hope this letter helps to express that sentiment.

I request that HP agree to cover the cost of repair. I understand this unit is out of warranty, and would be happy to pay for shipping.

I appreciate your time and consideration in this matter. I still believe that HP offers an excellent product; however, in this case I am asking for HP to exemplify its service.

Thank You,

Matt Marsolais

My case # for your reference is: 7500721649 and the Serial Number on the unit is: CNF7330KLH

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?