General discussion

Laptop does not turn on or charge

Hi, I have a compaq 2200 with XP and about 6 years old. The other day I used it for the first time since July ans thought it odd that it was only 6% charged. I keep it plugged in at all times. So I put another battery in and it did charge and I used the machine. After a little bit, I got this blue screen that said windows detected a problem and shut me down. I did not install any new hard or software. It then went into the black screen to restart and said counted down to zero; but never restarted.. It kept going back to the black screen. After a while I took the battery out so I could turn the machine off. I put it back in. The next day it looked like it was fully charged, but I could not turn on my computer. the 2 LED lights go one for a moment and shut down.
And now, the batteries won't charge even though I have tried different outlets; different adapter cords.
I tried taking the cord off and battery out and pressed the power button; tried it with just the power cord and just the battery; but it still will not do anything. Please help.
This is the first time I have had trouble and am not too technical. Thank you for your help.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Laptop does not turn on or charge
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Laptop does not turn on or charge
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
After 6 years ...

the most likely solution for your troubles is another laptop. Count yourself lucky it lasted 6 years. Repair probably is too expensive for this machine.

Others might come with better ideas.

Kees

- Collapse -
6 years

Actually. I do have another laptop; but even though I do have important info on flash drives; the 2200 seems to be made better. And I want to make sure I did get everything I need.
Thanks for the reply.

CNET Forums

Forum Info