Laptops forum

General discussion

Laptop died, think it's unrevivable

by Dude37 / March 20, 2007 5:04 PM PDT

Hi, right after upgrading to Spyware Doctor 5.0, my computer said to shut down for it to take effect... Now it wont come back up... It powers up, (black screen), and makes scratching noises and just sits there.. This is what I have tried....

Windows XP SP1 disk (one that came with computer)... Just sits there with black screen scratching at me

SP2 disk... Error message "No operating system found"

System restore disk from Compaq... Once I click restore factory image, it goes to an hourglass, then ejects the disk and restarts...

Now it's beeping at me frequently... No parts have ever been switched on this laptop

Compaq presario 2100 laptop, was on XPSP2, IE7

Anyway to get it to do anything??? The safe mode pretends to load, then goes blank... Anyway to do a scan on the hard disk from where Im at?

Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Laptop died, think it's unrevivable
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Laptop died, think it's unrevivable
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Another idea
by Dude37 / March 20, 2007 5:43 PM PDT

Well, lets just say my Internal hard drive is trashed... If I put XP on my external drive and boot from that, I should be able to just run off that until I can figure out if C: is repairable right?

Lets just say that the problem was caused by a virus... If I take out the C: Drive, is the Virus anywhere else on the computer? Do viruses attach themselves to any other part of the computer like memory or anything?

Collapse -
1. Windows does not boot from USB/Firewire....
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 20, 2007 9:53 PM PDT
In reply to: Another idea

2. Replacing the internal drive is a great idea. Here's a boot CD with drive testers. http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

3. Sounds more like a failed drive. Try the bootcd and test it.

Bob

Collapse -
ok
by Dude37 / March 20, 2007 10:01 PM PDT

But I dont see anywhere to downolad it to a cd

Collapse -
Check your CD burning program.
by Kees Bakker / March 20, 2007 10:13 PM PDT
In reply to: ok

It should have an option to burn an 'image' or something like that from an iso-file or something like that.

Hope this helps.

Kees

Collapse -
GRRR
by Dude37 / March 20, 2007 10:19 PM PDT

have been working with compaq support, they had me downoad a couple of "boot files" to cd... they end up being those "pictures" of a desktop (when you click the file, it asks you to use the web to find the appropriate program)...

Anyway, clicking on it tells me that it it's a cd image file... DUH!!! I burned it to the CD!!! Hello!!!...

am 51% into downloading the boot cd thing mentioned by rob

Collapse -
BTW
by Dude37 / March 20, 2007 10:22 PM PDT
In reply to: GRRR

Can a drive just go **** up??? Without warning??? I find it Ironic that it happened right after spyware doctor 5.0 was installed (a program I'm not so happy with anyway)...

Will reserve my comments about SD for now, just seems wierd...

Collapse -
And
by Dude37 / March 20, 2007 10:27 PM PDT
In reply to: BTW

I NEED to know this: If it was a virus, will it still be present on any part of the computer besides the HD? I wont connect my External HD with all my college courses on it without knowing this...

If I can go soprano on my internal HD, and still run an OS on my external... fine, as long as I dont have a virus threat from somewhere else in my comp

Collapse -
"Can a drive just go **** up??? Without warning???"
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 20, 2007 10:33 PM PDT
In reply to: And

Yes. Isn't that what happens to everyone?

Why is a virus suspect here? But most virus don't do this since they want to spread so any virus that does this, doesn't spread far. I'll weigh in against it being a virus.

What OS are you thinking about on the external? Windows doesn't boot and run from USB or Firewire so that's out. Linux does.

Bob

Collapse -
so
by Dude37 / March 20, 2007 10:41 PM PDT

So Viruses dont decapitate computers??? If it decimates my computer, I'd say it's done it's job... There is no other computers to spread to, Im just a single laptop....

Lets just say it's a disk failure... My external is a seagate 60GB... Are you saying I cant install XP on that and use it?

I couldnt tell you what Linux is if my life depended on it

Thanks for the help, but please answer the ??? about a virus manifesting itself somewhere other than the C drive

Collapse -
error
by Dude37 / March 20, 2007 10:43 PM PDT
In reply to: so

put in the boot cd i just created,
black screen
comes up with error:

PXE-E61 media failure
operating system not found

compaq presario 2100 laptop

gonna go back to compaq chat........

Collapse -
Tell me if you did this.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 20, 2007 10:46 PM PDT
In reply to: error

Put the .ISO file on the CD. Ooops. That's not how we use .ISO files and will not boot.

Look up ISOBURNER on google.com

Bob

Collapse -
yeah
by Dude37 / March 20, 2007 10:49 PM PDT

put the iso on disk... thats what compaq told me to do

as far as the usb, yeah i didnt read your post correctly

Collapse -
Yup.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 20, 2007 10:45 PM PDT
In reply to: so

"most virus don't do this since they want to spread so any virus that does this, doesn't spread far. I'll weigh in against it being a virus."

You can ask in our Security forum but many articles have been written on this about why this is so. I'll stop here.

->Are you saying I cant install XP on that and use it?
"What OS are you thinking about on the external? Windows doesn't boot and run from USB or Firewire so that's out."

I think that's clear enough.

In closing, try the bootcd I noted and test the drive.

Bob

Collapse -
nope
by Dude37 / March 20, 2007 11:12 PM PDT
In reply to: Yup.

The laptop wont recognize the cd exists

Collapse -
Which is what happens when..
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 20, 2007 11:21 PM PDT
In reply to: nope

People put the iso file to a CD. Hint: look up ISOBURNER on google.com

I reread this thread and I don't see where you've made a proper CD.

Bob

Collapse -
Thanks
by Dude37 / March 21, 2007 7:44 AM PDT

Thanks for your FN hints... I come here for help, not to play a FN game... I dont want hints, I dont want to learn this ****, I just want to fix the computer... You could hint me all around google all day, that wouldnt fix my FN machine...

Collapse -
Best of luck.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 21, 2007 7:47 AM PDT

I don't offer more than hints and guides. This is so you help yourself and lighten the load on those that help out here.

Since this is unacceptable to you I've unsubscribed from this discussion.

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.