Desktops forum

Question

Laptop/Desktop/Dual Monitor Solution

Just got a new job, and they're giving me a Dell XPS 12 to use at work and remotely. I have an iMac and Macbook at home, so I'm considering getting rid of everything Apple and going with a new PC with dual monitors, and attach a docking station. I need a PC at home so laptop/docking station alone won't work (others use desktop).

1) If desktop is connected to monitors, and I also connect the monitors to docking station, how do I switch monitors for laptop use when I have the laptop connected to docking station?
2) Is there some kind of adapter/switch that would let me switch all the peripherals (keyboard/mouse/monitors) from desktop mode to laptop/docking station?
3) I plan to get a desktop with high end video card (maybe dual)...I know the laptop won't be able to drive the monitors with same resolution as desktop, but will switching from desktop to laptop create any resolution probs or will the monitors just default to laptop's display settings?

Thanks for any advice!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Laptop/Desktop/Dual Monitor Solution
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Laptop/Desktop/Dual Monitor Solution
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Ideas.

In reply to: Laptop/Desktop/Dual Monitor Solution

1. MaxVista from http://www.maxivista.com/
2. "Dock"? I haven't seen folk use docks for over a decade as we are pretty wireless except for power.
Bob

Collapse -
Dock

In reply to: Ideas.

Thanks for the reply Bob, I will check that out...Dell still sells several docking solutions, mainly because most laptops can only output to 1 external monitor, and nobody wants to plug in power, ethernet, multiple usbs, etc every time they come/go from work to home. At my current office, most everyone has a docking station with dual monitors connected, and their work keyboard/mouse attached, so they don't have to drag it all home.

Collapse -
I would be guessing what the question is now.

In reply to: Dock

If you are getting a Dell model with docking, I wouldn't know what the question is now. Maybe you wanted to talk about a VGA or HDMI "switch" box?
Bob

Collapse -
Dock

In reply to: I would be guessing what the question is now.

The dock itself has an HDMI & DVI output, but my question mainly centers on how I switch from the desktop to the laptop, when I want to use laptop as primary computer. I thought a KVM switch was appropriate, but not sure how it would work with an attached docking station.

Collapse -
Sounds like a video switch is required.

In reply to: Dock

KVM sounds like overkill as we put the laptop into the dock and use the external display. So, dock, switch the video switch and use it.
Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.