General discussion

Laptop Cursor Leaps around While Typing

I bought a locally assembled, Zyrex computer about a year ago. I bought it second-hand from a store, and it works ok except for one very annoying habit that has started. As I touch type on it, the screen cursor will suddenly leap to another line, another page, or elsewhere.

I have analyzed what could be wrong but can?t figure a cause. First, I thought it might be interference from the touch pad, which I never use. I tried getting help to disable the touch pad but couldn?t make it happen. Nevertheless, as a test, I?ve watched my hands as I type to see if my fingers are hitting the touch pad but I don?t think they are.

The same thing with my fingers hitting multiple keys. Sometimes that happens on a crowded keyboard but not all the time. Yet, sometimes my laptop can?t type for five or ten seconds without leaping to another part of the document.

Has anyone else had this problem before with a laptop? Maybe there is a short circuit between the electronics and the body of the machine? Thanks for any ideas or help.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Laptop Cursor Leaps around While Typing
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Laptop Cursor Leaps around While Typing
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Sure.

It's a common question in the forums.

Disable the touchpad and if you can't, look up TOUCHFREEZE.

Good luck!
Bob

- Collapse -
Pretty Slick!

Thanks, Bob. I downloaded TouchFreeze, but before loading it, I read of someone else's idea of what he called the "Macgyver Fix". This was to place a yellow sticky note over the touchpad. That sounded good to me, so I tried it. It decreased the cursor leaps by about 20 percent, only.

So I loaded TouchFreeze on my laptop and gave it a whirl. It works fine, without a glitch. Now, when I'm working with a project group and making work notes on my laptop with a screen projector attached, everyone won't get seasick as the cursor jumps all over the place. "Thanx and a tip of the Hatlo Hat" for that! <g>

- Collapse -
And a thanks to you too.

I've heard of reducing the sensitivity but your note about a yellow sticky note is a find as well. I've used other methods but I'll add that to my answers to this problem.

Glad it helped!
Bob

CNET Forums