Computer Help forum

Question

laptop crashing

by SnowBlizard / September 6, 2011 4:21 PM PDT

for some reason my laptop keeps crashing when im afk so i havnt seen it but when i come back i find my laptop shutdown instead of on or on standby and when i boot it back up a window comes up saying The system has recovered from a serious error and asks me to send the error report to MS.when i click "To see what data this error report contains, click here" it says:

<div>BCCode : 1000008e BCP1 : C0000005 BCP2 : AA733949 BCP3 : A9EF58A0BCP4 : 00000000 OSVer : 5_1_2600 SP _ 3_0 Product : 251_6

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: laptop crashing
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: laptop crashing
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
0x8e
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / September 6, 2011 9:18 PM PDT
In reply to: laptop crashing

That 1000008e STOP Error code is the same as 0x8e.

Aumha explains that this is commonly caused by hardware problems, perhaps a driver. Have a look at;
http://aumha.org/a/stop.htm

Look for 8E in the left hand column and click. You will see an entry at the top for 0x0000008E and below that the one for 0x1000008E. They are both the same.

The entry for 0x8e is the one you are interested in.

You need to find out what is causing this so I would suggest looking at XP's EVENT VIEWER. Goto Start > Run, type in eventvwr.msc and click OK.

In the new window look in both Application and System logs, and look for failures. See what else is recorded. if it is a driver failure you are looking for something like xxxxx.sys, where xxxxx is the name of the driver file and .sys denotes a driver.

You say the laptop keeps crashing whilst you are AFK. What is the laptop doing when you are away from the keyboard?

Mark

Collapse -
i dont understand what you mean
by SnowBlizard / September 7, 2011 6:51 AM PDT
In reply to: 0x8e

i dont understand what you want me to look for in event viewer however i see several warnings and errors as for what its doing well its usually in standby or just the lid is closed while a video is loading or while a browser is open i dont know what else it could be doing..anything specific?

Collapse -
Well, lets see
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / September 7, 2011 8:20 PM PDT

if Bob's way helps first.

But about the Event Viewer. It is a log, or a collection of logs showing the status of the system throughout a session. All log entries are timed.

That means that you can 'track back' through the logs to find out why a system did what it did at particular times. For example, when your system crashes with a blue screen or otherwise you can investigate the logs for the time when it crashed to find the entries at that time.

It helps diagnose what was happening at the time. If you don't know the specific time then you look at the entries listed. So, you have to re-boot after a crash. You already know the time you have rebooted because that is 'now'. Look at the logs, find the first instance of 'now', and then look at the entries before now lower down the list, to find the last entry or entries just before you rebooted. Those are likely the ones that will show what happened to cause the crash.

I have to ask, why would you close the lid when a video is loading?

Mark

Collapse -
well i havnt gotten any crashes since i posted this thread..
by SnowBlizard / September 8, 2011 7:15 AM PDT
In reply to: Well, lets see

so im guessing bobs fix is working (thanks bob!) but ill post again if i do get another crash.

Collapse -
just crashed again
by SnowBlizard / September 8, 2011 4:56 PM PDT

well there was nothing running except for 2 yahoo pages on google chrome and it was on standby,then i turned it on(i mean taking it off stand by not a reboot)and put it on stand by again because i had to go and after a while came back and turned it on and right then there was a BSOD and it restarted

Collapse -
also
by SnowBlizard / September 8, 2011 4:58 PM PDT

i looked in event viewer and couldnt find anything that looks different than usual except for the save dump thing

Collapse -
hmm..
by SnowBlizard / September 8, 2011 10:41 PM PDT
In reply to: also

just crashed twice and i still dont see anything except for the crashes and the save dump stuff in the event viewer... Sad

Collapse -
Re: event viewer
by Kees_B Forum moderator / September 8, 2011 10:45 PM PDT
In reply to: hmm..

You see the crashes in the event viewer. That's nice. Now tell us the details.

Kees

Collapse -
what
by SnowBlizard / September 9, 2011 12:12 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: event viewer

details?sorry i might be a little less than intelligent at this stuff..=/ in the descriptions of the crashes it says the error codes or w/e that i posted in the first post thats all

Collapse -
Re: error codes
by Kees_B Forum moderator / September 9, 2011 12:15 AM PDT
In reply to: what
Collapse -
(NT) Did you do the CANNED AIR work?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 9, 2011 3:09 AM PDT
In reply to: what
Collapse -
just did
by SnowBlizard / September 9, 2011 7:45 AM PDT

just did it but now the fan doesnt seem to be doing anything at all Sad im afraid i might of broken it...

Collapse -
There are instructions about that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 9, 2011 8:00 AM PDT
In reply to: just did

Never more than short blasts. We don't want the fan going 100,000 RPM.

And if it did clear out a hairball, the fan may have a lot less need to run!
Bob

Collapse -
i did
by SnowBlizard / September 9, 2011 8:05 AM PDT

do short blasts..i hope your right but is there a way to check if it really does still work? i dont want it to overheat and crash suddenly =/

Collapse -
It was stuck on some dust..
by SnowBlizard / September 13, 2011 11:30 AM PDT

just opened it up it seems it was stuck on some dust now its working fine Grin hope i didnt break anything tho...>.>

Collapse -
(NT) Sounds more like a rock than dust.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 13, 2011 11:39 AM PDT
Collapse -
Answer
Just some thoughts.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 7, 2011 3:38 AM PDT
In reply to: laptop crashing

1. Forget screensavers. Tell it to blank or power off the screen.

2. CANNED AIR. I find most laptop owners to have never cleaned the laptop's vents or leave the laptops on the bed. Only after it fails they hear about cleaning every 6 months and to place them on a proper surface.
Bob

Collapse -
thanks will try this
by SnowBlizard / September 7, 2011 6:52 AM PDT
In reply to: Just some thoughts.

just turned screen saver to blank also do i need to open my laptop or just spray canned air in the fans and stuff?

Collapse -
Good to hear.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 7, 2011 7:17 AM PDT
In reply to: thanks will try this

1. Blank is better, but setting it to none and using the power off is one better.

2. There are many web sites about that. Since I'm doing this about every 3 to 6 months I never have to open it up. So start with the power off, the battery out and in an area you don't mind the dust give the vents a short blast. Don't press the button too long as we don't want to freeze things or spin the fans up to 100,000 RPM.

There are web pages with pictures out there but it's a do it yourself simple thing.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?