Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Laptop Crashes: key data "lost"

I had just turned our home into a wireless environment.....all machines working well.

had just downloaded Service pack 2 from Microsoft site....and laptop crashes and I have to do a Non-Destructive reovery.

Many, many data have not re-appeared.

Any solutions out there from you folks who understand these things...Any guidance appreciated and will be rewarded with a goodly few jokes to keep you laughing.

Thanks in advance,

Brendanok

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Laptop Crashes: key data "lost"
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Laptop Crashes: key data "lost"
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Compatability or virus issues

In reply to: Laptop Crashes: key data "lost"

Are you sure that your laptop is able to take SP2?

http://www.techspot.com/story15004.html gives details how to check if your applications will run under SP2.

Installing SP2 will find out any virus/spyware problems on a computer. Your laptop has to be squeaky clean before it can accept SP2 and so you need to be sure that it has been scanned with you anti-virus and anti-spyware applications and all malware removed.

Mark

Collapse -
SP2 and all that!

In reply to: Compatability or virus issues

Mark,

Thanks for this response....and i wish I'd done what you suggested BEFORE installing SP2....it was a case of over-confidence overtaking the Purdence in me....and now I have this problem.

Nothing is killed stone dead - I had backed up in Mid dec.....but a few extra hours work and the inconvenience of it all....i also got some advice on getting to restore point before SP2 installation.....but of course, SP2 seemed to wipe it all out as it loaded.

I also got advice on where the files are, (ie after SP2 said that my data files were in "documents & Settings" - some of them were there!....of course, Murphy's law.....the ones I wanted WEREN@T there....so lord above knows where they might be.....but searching for them doesn't work either......my last hope was to remove SP2 and see what happens....but it working with registry and even Microsoft are advising against that one!.....so it looks like the few hours extra to get the lost stuff re-done....all those favourites etc, now gone.(incidentally, any knowledge on how to print out/keep safe favourites?)

Incidentally I said a few jokes would come your way for helping....so when I get back to Lutterworth, I shall send them to you.

Thanks again for your help and if you're down by Jct 20 of M1, let me know and I'll have a cup of tea for you.

Bi for now,

Brendan

Collapse -
Ahh Lutterworth

In reply to: SP2 and all that!

I have been there many times, but not recently I'm afraid. I've forgotten how to get past Junctions 24 and 23A on the M1. Happy

I'm sorry you are having so many problems Brendan, and I hope you manage to sort them out soon.

You asked an easy question for a change........ How to print out/keep favourites, (notice how easily we fall back into the UK way of spelling when talking to another UK person? Normally I would use ''favorite'' to avoid the challenge that I can't spell!).

When you're back up and running, or if you can still access your Internet Explorer, open it, and goto File on the menu bar; select ''Import/Export''. A wizard will open which will allow you to export your favourites to a file. You can also export your cookies to a file as well.

When you have completed the export, eg to a file on your desktop is a good temporary storage area, it will be called ''Bookmarks.htm'', or ''Cookies.txt'' for cookies.

From there you can right click and print each, or save them to a floppy or CD, or whatever.

When you are back up and running, I would personally avoid using IE, as it is the target of virus writers, and use another browser like Firefox and email client like Thunderbird, from http://www.mozilla.com/

You can ''Import'' the favourites to Firefox, but I am not sure about the cookies.

Good luck. Tea sounds nice.

Mark

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.