HolidayBuyer's Guide

Laptops forum

General discussion

Laptop Coolers

by picorosan / May 2, 2006 10:18 PM PDT

If heard mixed reviews on laptop coolers. One stating that it works great, and another stating that it will damage the fans inside the laptop. Which is true? And which laptop cooler is the best?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Laptop Coolers
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Laptop Coolers
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
`You'll never find the best.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 2, 2006 10:41 PM PDT
In reply to: Laptop Coolers

That's a dead end discussion since it can go on forever. I'll be happy that any properly designed laptop does not require such cooling.

As to damaging the fans that issue is likely brought up by those that think pointing two fans at each other will cause damage to said fans. Let's move on.

Finally for those laptops that need a cooling pad these are great devices. It was a shame to see those Pentium 4 HT CPU based laptops since many started to exhibit heat issues soon after hitting the market. If you have one of those (or similar) then even the cheapest cooler can help.

Happy shopping for the best,

Bob

Collapse -
Fan Placement
by picorosan / May 3, 2006 12:16 AM PDT

the problem with my laptop is that the air is drawn in from the bottom and expells in the back... meaning i can't place my laptop on my lap... my legs would block the intake fans which are situated roughly where your legs would be if you placed the laptop on your lap.

You would think that when they design a laptop that they would think about fan placement, such as placing the intake fans in the middle and direct the air to the back.

Collapse -
I had the same concern and just cut a piece of plastic
by togus / May 3, 2006 12:32 AM PDT
In reply to: Fan Placement

to use as a lap desk. Works great (good for when the notebook is sitting on a bed or pillow as well); you could do the same thing with almost any kind of stock, even plywood.

Collapse -
I was thinking the same thing.
by picorosan / May 3, 2006 12:43 AM PDT

I was thinking the same thing. I just thought that the cooler pads would keep the laptop running cooler.
cooler = run better/last longer/and save from burning my legs.

Collapse -
About placement.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 3, 2006 1:11 AM PDT

Do laptops always put the fans in the same place?

Since this is the way of things, just moving cooler air in and about the laptop does help for those laptops that need help.

There will always be room for those that want the fans to line up or blow north or south.

Bob

Collapse -
Reply to Fan Placement
by r_rayjr / May 4, 2006 7:03 PM PDT

You need to also remember that even though there are intakes at the bottom; air will also get in thru holes, cracks, and seams. So even if you place the laptop on your lap and block the whole on the bottom air is still getting thru the system.

I am an Electrical Engineer graduate, and this was talked about at some of the classes I took. Your laptop is not sealed air tight, and the only inlets aren't just the hole you see. Yes they are the main inlets, but there are others that are not so obvious.

Collapse -
Forgot to say
by r_rayjr / May 4, 2006 7:08 PM PDT
In reply to: Reply to Fan Placement

I forgot to say in my last post that if you want to cool your system more that what the system does now with just the fans it has not, it shouldn't hurt. As you and/or someone else said, a cooler system help on wear and tear, and should help your computer run better, maybe a little faster (maybe not enought that you'd notice).

Collapse -
Right, but...
by donalpixny / May 5, 2006 1:00 AM PDT
In reply to: Reply to Fan Placement

A HVAC engineer would tell you however that air flow through the system will vary with the size of the inlets; i.e., a given fan running a given hp motor will not pull the same amount of air from a pinhole as it will from the design aperture intake.

Collapse -
I DID NOT SAY
by r_rayjr / May 6, 2006 7:27 PM PDT
In reply to: Right, but...

I did not say that did I??? Yes the Main holes for the cooling system are better, But how many people sit for hours and hours, with out moving this thing from there lap, for either shifting their legs position or getting up to go to the bathroom or what ever else??? NO ONE THAT I HAVE EVER SEEN. And not only that but the hole that the Engineers put at the bottom to help with cooling is more, than what is needed on most systems. They do this because they know that some of the holes maybe cover while on the laps, after all that is why it is called a LAPTOP...

Collapse -
Blocking the fans could be easily solved
by philco2 / May 5, 2006 6:55 AM PDT

If you are just trying to avoid blocking your fans, you could cut a lapdesk out of Masonite (the stuff cheap clipboards and pegboards are made from). You could then make it a custom fit for your laptop and put a handle on it, etc.

Collapse -
Bytecc Aluminum Notebook Cooler is the best
by 888tom / May 3, 2006 3:02 PM PDT
In reply to: Interesting here. . .

I tried a few and the only one that worked well is the Bytecc Aluminum Notebook Cooler (available at the link posted above.)

Collapse -
cable for second adapter annoying?
by garyst / May 5, 2006 10:56 PM PDT

The reviews for the Bytecc look really good and I'm thinking of getting one, but was just wondering about one thing. I noticed in the pics that there is a Y adapter (are they both PS2?) and it seems that if you have the notebook in your lap this second cable dangling could be a bit annoying. Anybody found this to be the case?

Thanks,
Julio

Collapse -
anybody have one a Byrtecc
by garyst / May 7, 2006 10:49 PM PDT

Is there anybody out there who has a Byrtecc and can tell me whether that second cable is ever a problem or not? I'd just like to make sure before I order one on the net.

Thanks,
Julio

Collapse -
this worked for me
by Buzzed / May 4, 2006 7:15 PM PDT

I have a toshiba satellite A80.
It's very hot and humid where I am, and I noticed that my laptop would start to run a bit slow after a couple of hours. I figured it was due to the unit getting too hot (The fan vents are on the side and bottom of the case.)
I bought 4 stick-on "rubber feet" from a hardware store and stuck them on the bottom of my laptop - problem solved.
A couple weeks ago, I popped into an Apple Computer shop and saw that they sold something similar to what I had done - but made of plastic AND at 4x the price.

Collapse -
yes, yes good idea
by rfpivoran / May 4, 2006 10:21 PM PDT
In reply to: this worked for me

I have done the same with all 3 of my laptops

Collapse -
Yes, but
by donalpixny / May 5, 2006 1:07 AM PDT
In reply to: this worked for me

The Apple accessory's industrial design was probably outstanding and put the hardware store to shame; seriously yours is the cost-effective solution: my partner has a Dell laptop which overheats and stalls when it downloads graphics files for more than 10 minutes (which we do a lot), so we have made a little plastic stand that picks the fan intake up off the desk maybe .75" and that makes the Dell happier

Collapse -
Active vs. Passive
by cdwatters / May 4, 2006 11:28 PM PDT

I have similar issues, my laptop is a P4 HT (meaning heater I'm sure), and using it for any length of time on my lap was - uncomfortable.

I picked up a little laptop ''lifter'' by 3M (LX200) that I picked up at a local computing store for all of $4. It's just a plastic ''X'' which scissors flat for placement in the laptop bag. It lifts the PC 1.3 inches at the back. I've found that it's sufficient to move the LT from my legs and allow better circulation. So far that's seemed to be enough - granted I'm not running processor-killers on this box, just office apps.

I bought one of the USB powered laptop coolers. It worked, but was more of a hassle since it stole one of the USB ports (I bought mine before they started sticking hubs in them). It did the job, but with slightly increased noise. It ended up in my Media Center, cooling the digital cable tuner...

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) My lap seems to do the job...
by MarkEdwardsMFT / May 5, 2006 3:06 AM PDT
Collapse -
I have seen many
by Themisive / May 5, 2006 8:19 AM PDT

Messages from people who swear by water cooled systems. Fine, unfortunately I do not share their enthusiasm. As any person who knows electronics and/or electrical work will know, electricity and water do not mix.

It's all very well for the makers of these systems to say they have never had a lead on the systems, the actual point of the matter is that they are placing water - albeit inside tubing - in an environment that is electrical in nature.

There is a way that any leak could be avoided, whilst still using them, that is to keep the actual cooling system well away from the electrics, and to us a large heatsink to conduct the heat from it's palce of production - usually the CPU - to the water cooling system.

I just use 7 fans at present, all driving air, soon it will be 8 fans.

I know that Bob would agree with this assessment, but I even have a different idea. It's really simple, use a fridge, the excess heat out via the radiator fins at the rear! Mind you that last is really going over the top.

Collapse -
External laptop cooler
by morgausedragone / May 5, 2006 9:53 AM PDT

I bought a Targus laptop cooler because it was on sale and I wanted something which allows me to use my laptop in my lap. I've only had it for about a month, but I have noticed that the internal fan doesn't have to kick in as often. What I *used* to do was prop the laptop on pads of small sticky notes at the corners to elevate it...that didn't make much of a difference Wink

Collapse -
Re: External laptop cooler
by tsewy / May 10, 2006 11:56 PM PDT
In reply to: External laptop cooler

I was contemplating buying one of the exact same brand ($79.95), but wondered about it's efficiency. Happy I have a Toshiba Laptop - Pentium M, 2 GHz processor, 512 RAM that's about 3 yrs old now... it's climbing the scales.
Starting to have a few woes with my CD drive... darn old technology!

Collapse -
Cooling Pad
by Earl D Fox / May 6, 2006 1:45 AM PDT

I brought a cheap cooling pad for my laptop and has been able to remove some heat from the laptop. There are 3 silence fans on the pad blowing underneath of my laptop. I also clean the internal fan of my laptop occasionally by using canned air to get rid of the dust residing on the fan which block the air flow.

Collapse -
Depends on your laptop
by hersheys07 / May 6, 2006 4:10 AM PDT

It really depends on your laptop whether you need a cooling pad or not. Some laptops get really hot while others remain cool. There is a utility available called SpeedFan that allows you to monitor the temperature of your components and change your computer's fan speeds, although compatiblity varies on computer model. Get it here: http://www.download.com/SpeedFan/3000-2094_4-10516200.html?tag=lst-0-2

In general, the cooler your components are the longer they will last. If, during normal operation, you CPU and hard drive temps are below 40C, you need no additional cooling. If they are between 40-45C, you might consider additional cooling equipment. If they are between 45-50C, you probably should consider additional cooling equipment. If they are above 50C, you definitely need additional cooling equipment. Note: these temps are just in general, see you computer manufacturer to find their optimal temps.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.