HolidayBuyer's Guide

Laptops forum

General discussion

Laptop Configuration... ???

by CluelessBuyer / January 30, 2006 11:32 AM PST

Ok, so after looking over so many reviews and taking my budget into account, I decided to go with the Compaq Presario V2000Z. Now, I don't know about what kind of configurations...speed, memory, etc.? So, help! Please. Mostly, I only need it for Word Processor, PowerPoint, and to lug around school n'work (email and word processor). Here are the configurations I'm thinking... do I need less or more of something??? Especially about Memory (512 Vs 1.0 GB... 2x512 or 1x1024) and processor (1.8 GHz vs 2.0) and speed. Remember, I want to keep cost low. Any help will be greatly appreciated from this ClueLess Buyer! =)

Operating System: Micorsoft Windows XP Home Ed (SP2)
Processor: AMD Turion 64ML-24 (1.8GHz/1MB L2 Cache)
Display 14.0 Brightview Screen
Graphics Card: ATI Radeo Xpress
Memory: 1.0 GB DDR SDRAM (1x1024MB)
Hard Drive: 80 GB (5400 RPM Hard Drive)
DVD/CD-RW Combo Drive
Networking: 54g(TM) 80.11b/g WLAN w/125 HSM
6 Cell Lith. Battery

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Laptop Configuration... ???
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Laptop Configuration... ???
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Sounds like my neighbors.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 30, 2006 11:39 AM PST

It was about 750 bucks in a box ready to go. Why the move to more RAM?

They have the 1.8GHz, 512MB and it's quite nice.

Bob

Collapse -
More RAM...
by CluelessBuyer / January 30, 2006 1:48 PM PST

Basically, I'm unfamiliar with all the notebook jargon... so, I'm just deciding over bigger numbers... I know, it sounds bad. What I'm looking to get from this laptop is portability, productivity, and for it to last a good 4-5 years. So, do you recommend I go from 1GB to 512 MB? And, if so, what do you suggest (there's two choices): 512MB DDR SDRAM (2x256MB) or 512MB SDRAM (1X512MB)?

Also, what is the difference between:

AMD Turion(TM) 64 ML-32 (1.8GHz/512KB L2 Cache)
and
AMD Turion(TM) 64 ML-34 (1.8GHz/1MB L2 Cache)

There's also a 2.0GHZ....what is my best option for what I am looking for in the laptop?

Collapse -
Difference
by Ghost26-20878886633866019035262628200812 / January 31, 2006 4:54 AM PST
In reply to: More RAM...

The difference between the two AMD Turion is in the Cache : A memory area where frequently accessed data can be stored for rapid access.

If you have the money take the AMD Turion 1.8 GHz with 1MB of Cache. But it's always possible in one year to change the processor for a better than this ( always in the Turion of the same generation, off courses ).

For you memory question, 512MB SDRAM (1X512MB) is better. Because if you want to put another RAM bar of 1 GB. So you will have 1536 MB instead of 1280 MB.

The Compaq V2000Z is a good laptop. I will buy one sooner ( but me it's a budget laptop ) for 900 $ CAN. It has a Turion 1.8 GHz ( 512KB Cache ), 512 MB RAM, 80 GB Hard-Drive, Wireless B/G SpeedBooster and Brightview dDisplay and many options just for 900 $ CAN at Staples. A great buying !

Collapse -
Finally... a laptop to fit my needs...
by CluelessBuyer / February 2, 2006 9:04 AM PST

Okay, finally, I think I have the right configuration to fit my needs. Please let me know whether I should change anything.. I can't upgrade anymore unless I change for something lower elsewhere...so, any recommendations on changes? Should I get less of something (memory, hard drive)...??? I will be submitting my purchase this weekend (finally!). I'm just waiting to find out if I can purchase additional service plan later... the comp. comes with one year only and I'm debating whether to get another year... =)
My Configuration:
Microsoft(R) Windows(R) XP Home Edition with SP2
? AMD Turion(TM) 64 ML-34 (1.8GHz/1MB L2 Cache)
? 14.0 WXGA BrightView Widescreen (1280x768)
? ATI RADEON(R) XPRESS 200M
? 512MB DDR SDRAM (1x512MB)
? 80 GB 5400 RPM Hard Drive
? DVD/CD-RW Combo Drive
? FREE Upgrade to 54g(TM) 802.11b/g WLAN w/125HSM!!
? 6 Cell Lithium Ion Battery

Collapse -
Changes ...

Hi !

Personnally, I would get 256 MB or RAM. After receive it, I would change this memory for an OCZ or Corsair. With a better performance. Well... Check the prices and calculate this. Maybe it will be less expensive... Check this ! The hard-drive is Okay. A 5400 RPM is very good.

The configuration is beautiful. Nice laptop. I will get mine probably this month or in March. But my V2000Z will have a 1.6 GHz Turion with 512KB of cahce ( the difference is not very big ) and a 80 GB 4200 RPM. It's a package from Staples.

About service plans ... Yes, maybe it's a good choice to get another year or services. But the majority of the time, the components started to breake arround the first 90 - 120 days after the purchase. The principal components who break is the hard-drive and mechanical pieces. And sometimes it's normal that this components break after one year and an half or two years. Well... discute this with a salesperson in a store...

But one thing is sure, it's a very nice laptop !

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.