Laptops forum

General discussion

Laptop Configs for gaming rate them!

by ImHighAs / April 2, 2011 2:59 PM PDT

Yo dudes,

Just bought a gaming laptop online via trademe. All warantee and everything still on there. Would like to see some feedback in regards to parts performance things like that. New to this forum so i apologise for any errors with my post.

Specs are:
HP ENVY:
Processor: i7 820qm (1.73GHz)
GPU: ATI mobility Radeon 5850m
4GB DDR3 Ram
Display:1600x900 HD+
500GB 7200RPM Hard disk
Beats Audio Speakers.

Wanting to know if these specs are adequate for current games EG Black ops, Battlefield BC2 and other onlines games.

Thanks for any responses this post gets lol.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Laptop Configs for gaming rate them!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Laptop Configs for gaming rate them!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by ImHighAs / April 2, 2011 3:02 PM PDT

Oh and the screen size is 17"

Collapse -
HP, we have a problem
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 2, 2011 3:05 PM PDT

I wonder about HP warranties. I wouldn't buy this.
Bob

Collapse -
by ImHighAs / April 2, 2011 9:02 PM PDT
In reply to: HP, we have a problem

Oh real? Y do you say that? its under warantee till August 2011 so i thought it would be OK.

What about the specs are they pretty decent or you reckon there could be better ones out there? It was $1600 NZ dollars.

Is HP Customer service that bad?

Collapse -
by ImHighAs / April 2, 2011 9:05 PM PDT

Sorry i mean August 2012

Collapse -
It is here (USA)
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 3, 2011 1:18 AM PDT

My last HP had a failure and after 9 months is still not fixed. It went through escalations and more.

While HP writes there is a warranty my experience is it's worth the paper it was written on.

Today, for now, I can't avoid sharing when I see folk about to drop such a bundle to that company.
Bob

Collapse -
by ImHighAs / April 3, 2011 7:51 AM PDT
In reply to: It is here (USA)

Wow really? You'd think them being such a worldwide brand that they'd have the support to match it.

In terms of specs for gaming what are ya thoughts about it?

Do you think the customer support over in nz would be any diff to US?

Thanks for replying btw.

Collapse -
One can hope but in this case no.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 3, 2011 8:03 AM PDT

One of the issues I had with the machine was a bug in the bios. It would not boot when a smart phone was plugged in no matter which BIOS HP installed or what setting they tried.

It's a bios bug and to make matters worse they changed the motherboard and the bug remained (it's firmware and why they changed the board is beyond me.)

At the end HP claims they buy the bios and there is no fix available and that it's not a big deal since "few have smart phones."

Went back to a Dell and all's well again.
Bob

Collapse -
laptop configs
by arpit_rathore7 / May 26, 2011 7:57 PM PDT

pretty decent graphic card ,i guess u'll do fine with games that u've mentioned but for latest 2011 games,i dont think its sufficient in terms of performance.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.