Question

Laptop changes colors

Hi All,

I have strange problem in my laptop screen. Once I was working on my laptop and suddenly the screen started to change colors. It turned white, then red, green, blue and black. The colors just kept on changing. I could only use the laptop after restarting it through power button.

After that everything worked OK, until after a day when I shut down the laptop. In this case also, instead of shutting down, the laptop caused the above problem.

Please help!!! I am confused.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Laptop changes colors
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Laptop changes colors
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
I've seen that on

HP's dv6000/dv9000 and tx1000 machines. I wonder if it's one of the machines we've seen that on.

It's not a good sign. But if the machine does it once and not again, you chalk it up to a crash and move on.
Bob

- Collapse -
Answer
RE:Laptop changes colors

You need to Check the Display cable.. A slightly dislodged display cable or one that is being pinched in the Hinge area will produce those symptoms you describe...

You can plug an external monitor into the laptop to see if the colors appear on the external screen... If they do, It is a Video issue, if it doesn't and the image is normal on the external screen... then it is not a video issue and you need to test hardware...
Screen Flex can cause the color issue as well... and that is damage to the circuit board panel on the rear side of the upper screen... When the colors appear, you can slightly flex the top corners of the laptops screen forward and backward to see if the colors go away when doing this... If they do, you will need to replace the screen to correct the issue...
If... the colors are not SOLID and are kind of a Wash Over color film... then you might need to look at the LCD bulb... it will produce pastel colors when in the beginning stages of failure.. Usually Pink and Orange Tones...

- Collapse -
This dual core Pentium laptop.
http://shop.lenovo.com/ISS_Static/WW/AG/merchandising/US/PDFs/gseries_G450_techspecs_080409.pdf

That's not a machine I would suspect to have issues running 24x7 but if you do that I would place it on a solid surface so it can stay cool.

If it's past a year old, I have to wonder if it's been taken care of. Such as the yearly blast of canned air on the vents.

Last idea? Do those long runs with a laptop cooler or with the back of the machine supported so it gets maximum air flow.
Bob
- Collapse -
Answer
Problem is not re-occurred!!!

Actually 2-3 days has yet not re-occurred. I think the issue was that I was keeping my laptop for too much time on charging. Actually I have slow internet connection and used to download huge movies and games. For this I kept my laptop switched on and on electric power for hours.

Hope, above is the issue and my laptop does not have any display problems.

And yes, my laptop model is Lenovo G450.

CNET Forums

Forum Info