Thank you for being a valued part of the CNET community. As of December 1, 2020, the forums are in read-only format. In early 2021, CNET Forums will no longer be available. We are grateful for the participation and advice you have provided to one another over the years.


CNET Support

General discussion

laptop car charger !?

Dec 25, 2005 8:46AM PST

is there any type of cable that would help me charge my laptop in my car? i am travelling a lot and i use my laptop on the go-- my toshiba laptop has a battery life of 1 and half hours.

thanx in advance

Discussion is locked

- Collapse -
Dec 25, 2005 12:31PM PST

Hello. Sure you can get an adapter cord that plugs into your cigarette lighter socket at one end and into the socket where your regular computer adapter connects to the laptop. However, I prefer, and use a small inverter that plugs into the lighter socket and turns it into a regular 115V domestic type socket. this not only allows you to charge your battery using yourlaptop's mains adapter, but allows you to use the Inverter for other types of domestic voltage devices.
If you decide to go this route see that you get a converter with a wattage rating high enough for the highest wattage device you are likely to plug into it.
If on the other hand you decide to go with the conventional lighter socket to laptop cord, I advise you to go to Walmarts rather than an electronics store as you will be able to get a generic adapter for a fraction of the price of the proprietory brands that the places like Circuit City usually carry. Best regards and a happy holiday. Stewart.

- Collapse -
thanx. that kind of helped!
Dec 26, 2005 3:45AM PST

but is there a specific name for the cable?

thanx once again

- Collapse -
Dec 26, 2005 4:37AM PST

Just ask for a car laptop adapter at the electronics counter and they'll know what you need.Cheers. Stewart