Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Laptop can't see PC in home network

by BAGriese / January 16, 2006 1:45 AM PST

Hi all, I've recently bought a laptop and set up a wireless network at home. Both computers connect smoothly, and the PC can see the laptop's shared folders, but the laptop can't see the PC's shared folders. Any idea what might be wrong?

Both computers run XP, both have home networking enabled with the same workgroup name. My suspicion is on the firewalls: I have the laptop running Norton's Personal Firewall, where I've set up the router address as a trusted computer. (But does that open me up to all Internet traffic?)

The PC is running Windows Firewall. File and Printer Sharing are Excepted from the firewall, but I still can't see the laptop and don't see any other place to specify the workgroup or laptop to allow traffic.

Anyone have any ideas? I'm out of 'em.

Thanks -

--Beth

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Laptop can't see PC in home network
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Laptop can't see PC in home network
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by sundarramalingam / January 16, 2006 2:22 AM PST

Try access home pc from Laptop using its \\IP\<sharedfolder> (Type the shared folder you know) .

I was also having same problem. I wasn't able to see homepc in the network neighbourhood then. I guess this is the way I resolved it before.

Collapse -
by dilip_1kumar / January 16, 2006 3:06 AM PST

uninstall the network from laptop and resetup the network by using your xp cd.
if not then uninstall the network completely from all the devices and install by the one xp cd in all divices.

Collapse -
Is it XP Home or XP Pro?
by Photog4Christ / January 16, 2006 9:40 PM PST

Is the PC XP Home or XP Pro?

This is too much for me to get into here, but basically, you want to create an account for the laptop on your desktop PC.

Setup an account on the PC for the laptop, example: laptop
Give the account a password!

Setup a user account on the laptop called ''laptop'' and give it THE SAME PASSWORD AS THE ACCOUNT ON THE PC!

From the PC you will need to give ''laptop'' permission to access the folders in question.

That's all I can really get into online. If you need help, invite your local 7 year old over for milk and cookies. Happy

Collapse -
by Photog4Christ / January 16, 2006 9:41 PM PST

Is the PC XP Home or XP Pro?

This is too much for me to get into here, but basically, you want to create an account for the laptop on your desktop PC.

Setup an account on the PC for the laptop, example: laptop
Give the account a password!

Setup a user account on the laptop called ''laptop'' and give it THE SAME PASSWORD AS THE ACCOUNT ON THE PC!

From the PC you will need to give ''laptop'' permission to access the folders in question.

That's all I can really get into online. If you need help, invite your local 7 year old over for milk and cookies. Happy

Collapse -
Make sure file/print sharing is setup on both computers.
by MSchlenker / January 18, 2006 4:57 AM PST

Remember; you have to enable file/print sharing on both the laptop and desktop in order to share both ways. If you only ran the Network setup wizard on the laptop, your desktop is not setup properly for sharing.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!