Computer Help forum

Question

Laptop buying: "Weight will vary by configurations" ??

by live2learn1994 / August 23, 2013 11:49 PM PDT

I am buying hp Probook 440s, and the specs page mentions the weight 2.10 kg, It says the weight will vary by configuration.. What configuations is it talking about??

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Laptop buying: "Weight will vary by configurations" ??
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Laptop buying: "Weight will vary by configurations" ??
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Usually battery
by Jimmy Greystone / August 24, 2013 2:00 AM PDT

Usually battery. If the standard config is for a 6-cell battery and you get a 9-cell upgrade, that will add more weight. If there are options for bigger screen sizes, that could do it too. Really any alteration from the base spec could potentially alter it and if they didn't have that disclosure in there somewhere, someone might decide to sue because they do a lot of traveling and every gram counts, so the ad said it would be this or that weight and it ended up being 2.11kg instead of 2.10kg. It seems stupid and trivial, because it is, but people do sue over that sort of nonsense. It's also technically a truth in advertising violation that most western nations have if they don't include that disclaimer.

By and large, you can ignore it unless it makes a difference to you if something weighs 2.11kg instead of 2.1kg. For those of us who just want to know that it weighs "about 2kg" who cares?

Collapse -
What else oher than battery?
by live2learn1994 / August 24, 2013 4:26 AM PDT
In reply to: Usually battery

Thank you for the answer.

I am a beginner, I need further help.. Please tell other factors that may increase weight. For instance, does upgrading processor from i5 to i7 increase weight? or harddisk from 500 GB to 1 TB ?? I think it doesn't but I am not sure

Collapse -
SIze matters
by mchainmchain / August 24, 2013 4:54 AM PDT

Basically, the more hardware stuffed into a laptop, and larger capacity batteries, the more a laptop will weigh, as Jimmy says above.

A SSD hard drive weighs much less than a traditional IDE or SATA drive, for example, and takes up much less space inside a laptop. Screen size matters too, the bigger it is, the more it will weigh.

As for the type of processor, weight is not really relevant, as they are all approximately the same size, more or less.

It comes down to what additional features are built-in vs. a basic model. More features, more weight. If your lappy comes with a dvd or blu-ray drive or other, it will weigh more.

There's a caveat here: The more hardware installed, the more heat produced, and consequent requirements for adequate cooling of parts are increased over a basic model. You do know about cleaning a laptop on a regular basis?

And also know a laptop requires special handling to ensure greater longevity and service life than a desktop?

Collapse -
In that case
by Jimmy Greystone / August 24, 2013 5:10 AM PDT

In that case, since it would seem you're one of those few people who actually cares about even minute differences in weight, you should find a sales rep who is willing to find this information for you. We can only give you generic information, like a larger screen will likely add more weight. We can't tell you that the difference in weight between Screen A and Screen B is 0.51kg because we don't have that info.

Collapse -
Answer
You wrote HP. My last HP was my last HP.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 24, 2013 5:15 AM PDT

HP walked on the warranty at 3 months into the ownership of a laptop. At 9 months with many phone calls and 24 hours on the phone with one call going for 8+ hours it was clear to me that HP has forever changed and can't be trusted.

Sure, a social media rep noticed this on the boards here but they were far too late to help.

As it stands, that was my last HP.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?