Laptops forum

General discussion

Laptop buying troubles

by dwightsgonzalez / January 31, 2007 8:49 AM PST

I?m going to college and I don?t know what kind of laptop I should get. I multitask on the computer, at any given time I am using a number of programs. I need to be able to use limewier, fierfox (multiple sites at the same time), AIM, and the realone player at the same time, without slowing my computer down to much. I?d also like to be able to watch movies and stuff because in college my laptop will be my home entertainment system too. Of course I will need to have Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, I don?t know the technical information such as the processor the hard drive the memory or anything like that. I've been looking into reviews but when I get to the sites it all looks the same to me. I want to keep this as inexpensive as possible without sacrificing too much .any input or information will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Laptop buying troubles
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Laptop buying troubles
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Companies
by ankitvjain / January 31, 2007 9:21 AM PST
In reply to: Laptop buying troubles

hi, which companies are yoou looking at purchasing? are you thinking of buying Vista-preinstalled? Will you play games?

IMO:- You will need 2ghz dual core processor, 2GB ram, and a 7200rpm runnig harddrive.

AJ

Collapse -
Companies
by dwightsgonzalez / January 31, 2007 11:31 AM PST
In reply to: Companies

I was thinking maybe Dell or Toshiba or an HP , tell you the truth I don?t know. I don?t really need vista, I herd I should get it later so that all the glitches will be fixed. I don?t know if that has any truth behind it though. I?m not much of a PC gamer so I won?t need anything for gaming.
Thank you I really appreciate it. I?ve been trying to get this info for weeks

Collapse -
abt Vista
by ankitvjain / January 31, 2007 11:43 AM PST
In reply to: Companies

hi, just for info, i am also a college student.

now you are right about the companies the best deals will be given by these 3.

I will talk a bit about Vista for you. The main propenent to buy Vista is that a) you will not have to go through the hassel of installing it later(you will get a free upgrade(in mail) to vista when u buy your laptop) b) all the hardware will be completly compatable with Vista so you not have to install drivers for them. c) looks and feels betteer to work with, d) home premium has dvd burning(u read it right) software(which MS supplied).

The detterent offcourse is the bugs. it is though said to quite allright as Vista(commercial) edition has been out from quite some time(november 06). I just ordered a laptop yesterday with vista installed. So that i will leave up to you, if you want vista or not.

So HP, Dell, Toshiba. Any preference??

Collapse -
$$$
by dwightsgonzalez / January 31, 2007 12:14 PM PST
In reply to: abt Vista

I don't know enough about those laptops to make an educated decision on which one I prefer.

I just found out that my price range isn?t as big as I thought. My parents don?t want to pay more then $1500. So that should narrow the search down a bit.

Collapse -
Size
by ankitvjain / January 31, 2007 12:19 PM PST
In reply to: $$$

oh ya i forgot to ask. Do you plan to take your laptop to class or will it just sit there. i.e.(that is) do you want a light laptop and small screen size or bigger the better(you can get screen sizes 12" to 17")

Collapse -
Size
by dwightsgonzalez / January 31, 2007 12:33 PM PST
In reply to: Size

i'm not going to take to class but i do plan on carrying it around to different places to do my work but a lot of the time it will be at home. bigger is better but 17 seems a little big

Collapse -
So 15 is good?
by ankitvjain / January 31, 2007 12:36 PM PST
In reply to: Size

So how 15" inches? then i would recomend as light as possible.

hopefully stargatefan can help me on this one as well

Collapse -
HP
by ankitvjain / January 31, 2007 12:44 PM PST
In reply to: So 15 is good?

HP dv6000t:-
? Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium
? Intel(R) Core(TM) 2 Duo T7200 (2.0GHz/4MB L2Cache)
? 15.4" WXGA Widescreen (1280x800)
? 256MB NVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) Go 7400
? HP Imprint Finish + Microphone + Webcam
? 2048MB DDR2 System Memory (2 Dimm)
? 80GB 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive
? FREE Upgrade: 8X DVD+/-R/RW w/Double Layer Support
? Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network w/Bluetooth
? No TV Tuner w/remote control
? 6 Cell Lithium Ion Battery
? Microsoft(R) Works 8.0
? HP Home & Home Office Store in-box envelope

+ 2 year warrenty.

price before tax:- 1473.

Dell:-
Intel

Collapse -
hp
by dwightsgonzalez / January 31, 2007 1:11 PM PST
In reply to: HP

the HP sounds like the better deal...then again i dont relly know what im talking about

Collapse -
HP vs Dell
by ankitvjain / January 31, 2007 1:22 PM PST
In reply to: hp

ok will be going to sleep soon, so this may be my last message for the night.

Hp has a webcam and microphone

Dell has a faster HDD(so everything will work faster)

ALERT:- Both Are coming WIth windows Vista if you want the older version(xp) you will have to call thema nd ask them.

Collapse -
DELL!?
by someone2-2 / January 31, 2007 1:53 PM PST
In reply to: hp

I would recmmend the HP. Because iv used dell and i dont really like how its hard to upgrade components on dell because Dell likes to use its custom designed and built motherboards and power supplies wich make it hard to upgrade.

Collapse -
HP, Dell, Gateway.........overated
by arctic513 / February 1, 2007 12:22 AM PST
In reply to: DELL!?

I found to companies that make great laptops but are rarely heard of. 1st one you may have heard of is Asus. They make motherboards and other componenets, but they make rock solid laptops.

Another one is PCMicroworks. They lead the industry in innovation, and their laptops are really nice. Their website is http://www.pcmicroworks.com/laptops.htm

Also if you want an HP, you will get a better value if you went to Circuit City or a Best buy rather than the website.

Collapse -
Circiut City or Best buy
by ankitvjain / February 1, 2007 1:33 AM PST

"Also if you want an HP, you will get a better value if you went to Circuit City or a Best buy rather than the website."

if you o to circuit city/best buy you cannot get to upgrade the laptop to the specs you want and i don't think you can get additional company warrenty on it.

Collapse -
RE
by StargateFan / February 1, 2007 4:59 AM PST

I totally agree with you on Asus. In fact I will be buying the W5fe when it is released (the first laptop with slideshow). However I just checked out this company pcmicroworks, they have some impressive laptops. Stylish and powerful.

Collapse -
hp sounds good
by dwightsgonzalez / February 1, 2007 6:11 AM PST
In reply to: DELL!?

the hp sounds good but i'm a little concerned on whether or not i should get vista

Collapse -
Vista
by ankitvjain / February 1, 2007 7:49 AM PST
In reply to: hp sounds good

As i said earlier

"I will talk a bit about Vista for you. The main propenent to buy Vista is that a) you will not have to go through the hassel of installing it later(you will get a free upgrade(in mail) to vista when u buy your laptop) b) all the hardware will be completly compatable with Vista so you not have to install drivers for them. c) looks and feels betteer to work with, d) home premium has dvd burning(u read it right) software(which MS supplied).

The detterent offcourse is the bugs. it is though said to quite allright as Vista(commercial) edition has been out from quite some time(november 06). I just ordered a laptop yesterday with vista installed. So that i will leave up to you, if you want vista or not. "

If you want vista you can just go ahead. however if you want XP i am sure Hp will install XP and give it you but you will have to call them and order the laptop through the phone.

Any other help?

Collapse -
thank you so much
by dwightsgonzalez / February 1, 2007 8:08 AM PST

I've been researching this for weeks and u have been to only source that actually was of assistance. i appreciate this more then you know....thank you.

Collapse -
specs
by ankitvjain / February 1, 2007 8:15 AM PST

No problem at all. But which specs are you decideing on??

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.