Computer Help forum

General discussion

Laptop Boots On It's Own After Shutdown

by th3fac3insid3 / August 28, 2009 3:46 PM PDT

My laptop out of nowhere has started to boot up by itself after I shut it down. It did this several times in a row; at one point it shut down and stayed that way for maybe 10 minutes before booting itself back up on it's own, untouched. It also will randomly load HP Quickplay for no reason- there's no dvd in the drive.

I don't know what's going on and it's kind of scary! Help??

It's a HP Pavilion tx 2000 with Windows Vista....

I'm running a virus scan at the moment...

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Laptop Boots On It's Own After Shutdown
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Laptop Boots On It's Own After Shutdown
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Sorry,
by nino8888 / August 28, 2009 10:22 PM PDT

I laughed so hard after reading your problem. It's kind of scarry especially after you watch horror movie, hahaha....

I know some HP laptops have buttons above the keyboard and the very sensitive play button can actually boot up the laptop without pressing the start button. It will go to quickplay whether you have any dvd or not.

Try disable the hp software (can't recall the name) that's in the list of startup items (run MSCONFIG). See if it's still does the scary rebooting.

Collapse -
Didn't work
by th3fac3insid3 / August 29, 2009 3:39 AM PDT
In reply to: Sorry,

It's still booting up on it's own... I shut it down and it stayed off for about 20 min then just turned on by itself.

Collapse -
If all else fails
by Jimmy Greystone / August 28, 2009 11:52 PM PDT

If all else fails, and you can find no software related reason for this happening, I can say that this is usually a result of a defective motherboard. So if it's still under warranty, make HP replace it. Otherwise, learn to live with it, because the cost of replacing a motherboard will likely be about 75% of a new laptop.

Also let this be a lesson on why you avoid the bottom feeders of HP and Acer who are also responsible for the Compaq, Gateway, and eMachines brands. This is really why you avoid low end computers no matter who makes them, but especially the bottom feeders.

Collapse -
If all else fails
by th3fac3insid3 / August 29, 2009 3:43 AM PDT
In reply to: If all else fails

I've never had a problem with HP before, I've been using them for years...

Collapse -
And?
by Jimmy Greystone / August 29, 2009 4:55 AM PDT
In reply to: If all else fails

And? There are people who are driving around in cars that are known to have problems without any kind of incidents, doesn't mean that their cars aren't still unsafe.

Your singular experience does not make up the sum total of everyone else's collective experience, which is generally that HP systems are of shoddy quality if we're being generous. Of course that holds true of virtually any system that's under $500 before rebate scams and everything else... Which, coincidence, just happens to be the market HP dominates!

It's a simple matter of economics. Everyone from the various parts vendors to the retail stores is looking to make a profit off of their part of the supply chain. Now tell me how that's possible when even in lots of 1,000, the CPU alone in a lot of those systems will cost about $150. Economies of scale is all well and good, but it doesn't make things free, and there's still a point at which no matter how many you make, it won't be any cheaper for you thanks to fixed costs like overhead.

So if everyone is marking up their contribution to the supply chain in an effort to make a profit, and we allow for the asian slave labor HP uses, I still don't see how it is they can sell these things for under $500 and make a profit without cutting a number of corners.

You need to be able to think beyond the price tag you see in the store or on a website. Spend a minute or two working out how it is they can get those prices so low and still make a quality product. Usually the answer is: They can't.

Collapse -
Just figured I'd ask...
by MrKassner / September 1, 2009 9:42 AM PDT
In reply to: And?

Can you explain why my eMachines desktop that is about 8years old is still working just fine after being moved across the country 2times from all the times I've had to move? And the last time it was sitting in the back of my dads pick-up uncovered while it was raining, including it's monitor, keyboard, and mouse. I let it dry out and it's still running Windows XP fine to this day. My fathers old laptop is about 5years old and is a HP, our 32inch CRT TV fell on top of it and cracked the screen but the laptop still works, we hooked it up to the tv and it's now a media center of sorts (Lol TV still worked). My Acer laptop that is maybe 2years old has worked fine and I'm bi-polar, I've thrown that thing into walls so many times it's not even funny. But did it ever break? No. Worst that happened was the hard drive broke, they replaced it for free with one day shipping no questions asked. It's now my mothers laptop and she loves it, though I admit it's slow as crap using Vista. And finally, my fathers new laptop is an Acer though it's only maybe a year old he has yet to have a problem with it and hes a truck driver so it goes through some heavy use. So my point being, just because you think some company's are bad, doesn't mean they are. It's your opinion, not a fact.

Collapse -
Dissable all network cards (WiFi, Ethernet, Etc.)...
by MrKassner / September 1, 2009 9:31 AM PDT

...If it stops turning on by itself that means your laptop was receiving a wake-up call from your router.
To dissable this:
1. Open the Start menu
2. Right click "Computer"
3. Click "Properties"
4. Click "Device Manager"
5. Expand "Network adapters"
6. Double click your network card
7. Click the "Advanced" tab
8. Set everything that starts with "Wake on..." to "Disabled"
(Your network card never turns off, it is powered by your router, even after you turn off your computer, unless you change this setting.)

This feature is generally used in large scale offices where you have hundreds of computers and want to turn them all on or off by the push of one button. Yet another interesting setting of windows that is not so well known, and can be very annoying when your the one that doesn't know about it (I had the same problem you have.).

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!