General discussion

LAPTOP BATTERY WON'T CHARGE

Armada 7400 laptop 366hz 256 ram Win98. When unit is cold, upon startup the battery charges temporarily. It might charge 10 points or so then indicates charging but does not charge any more. Next time on startup it may charge a bit more.
The battery will charge ok in another 7400 unit.
In an earlier post it was suggested that the WinME was not original and some drivers may have been missing when the ME upgrade was installed. Now with the Compaq original drivers installed the charger still has problems.
When i say original drivers i mean that recovery disc was used and the Win95 was upgraded via 98 upgrade disc. I noted the Compaq installed components after the recovery and then again after 98 upgrade. They are the same.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: LAPTOP BATTERY WON'T CHARGE
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: LAPTOP BATTERY WON'T CHARGE
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
good, you tried Bob's advice. But...

I doubt the charging hardware is software driven, i.e. physical sensors determine the charge and initiate. I doubt the unit charges without being turned on (safety issue).
1. the charger circuit in the laptop may be defective, charging up to a lower voltage. Note that good laptop finishes charge, i.e. the indicator seems to be reading lower charge ok and not a false indication.
2. although extra $$, many use an external charger to keep the load off the laptop. I've sold a few internal charger circuits for older Compaqs where a diode or capacitor went bad...lower charging ability, or burnt out.

- Collapse -
You guys are awesome

Thanks for the reply. I did change out the whole lower
portion of the laptop keeping only the screen and keyboard. The charging problem persisted even with the old lower unit. I changed it out after Bob's diagnosis of bad motherboard. The charging problem was subject of some prior posts. Bob said that a faulty battery left in the unit caused the charger to constantly try putting charge back in and over a period of time took its toll on the motherboard. Don't leave the batteries in anymore.

CNET Forums

Forum Info