Windows 7 forum

Question

Laptop battery plugged in, not charging

by qb4ever8 / December 28, 2013 4:23 AM PST

Hi, I have a HP Pavilion dv6 3284ca notebook running window`s 7. Two days ago, out of the blue, the battery icon started saying plugged in, not charging and is hovering at 10% without moving. As soon as I i unplug the adaptor, the computer shuts off without warning, not even going through the shutdown process. I have tried a number of solutions without any of them working. I have tried uninstalling the ACPI driver to no avail, taking out the battery and putting it back in. That also didn't work. I ran a battery test at startup and it said it was ok. I also ran the HP Support Assistant battery diagnostic, which also came back ok. I also tried taking the battery out and removing the adaptor cable, and then pressing the power button for 30 seconds and then putting the battery back in, which also didn't work. If anyone has a solution for this I will be very grateful.

p.s. This problem came out of the blue, the battery was working perfectly fine before.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Laptop battery plugged in, not charging
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Laptop battery plugged in, not charging
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Pretty well discussed. See link.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 28, 2013 4:37 AM PST
Collapse -
Broken part
by qb4ever8 / December 28, 2013 7:14 AM PST

So as discussed in the link you gave me, the most plausible explanation is a defective part in the computer?

Collapse -
That's one idea.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 28, 2013 7:20 AM PST
In reply to: Broken part

Did you try the ideas that seem to fix a few?

Also, I can't find how old the machine and battery is. The battery is all of a 300 cycle thing (about 18 months) and may well be past its prime. Do try what others noted in that other link. I don't want to upset you but I rarely duplicate the other discussion.
Bob

Collapse -
Just to add briefly
by Jimmy Greystone / December 28, 2013 7:27 AM PST
In reply to: That's one idea.

Just to add briefly to what Bob said, once a battery is consumed it is not uncommon for capacity to drop off very quickly. Sometimes it is a slow gradual decline, other times it's as if battery life fell off a cliff. There's no way to tell which category a battery will fall into until it reaches the point of being consumed.

Collapse -
Yeah but
by qb4ever8 / December 28, 2013 10:03 AM PST
In reply to: Just to add briefly

I understand that the battery may be old, but if it were really dead, wouldn't all the tests and diagnostics i ran tell me that it is due to be changed? Because the test i did at start up by pressing F2 indicated that the battery status is ok. Same result for the HP Support Assistant test.

Collapse -
No.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 28, 2013 11:22 AM PST
In reply to: Yeah but

The tester for batteries is too expensive for most shops. This is why they just swap it out.
Bob

Collapse -
No
by Jimmy Greystone / December 28, 2013 11:40 AM PST
In reply to: Yeah but

No. I worked as a repair tech for around 3 years. Very quickly you learn that diagnostic programs have their uses, but only an idiot places blind trust in them. I've gotten false-positives, cases where the diagnostic program missed things that were extremely obvious and just about everything in between. I've had cases where a diagnostic program gave a HDD a clean bill of health, but you can hear it making the click of death sound and sometimes the drive just seizes up and causes the computer to hang. I've seen diagnostic programs claim a HDD was about to die at any moment, but the drive kept running great for years after. I've had RAM pass very rigorous testing patterns, but the moment you try and install an OS and it goes to unpack some of the files, you get an error which doesn't happen if you swap out the RAM.

Diagnostic programs are excellent guides at helping you figure out where to direct your efforts if you're a technician, but they are not infallible and the testing programs made available to consumers tend to be rather pedestrian. I have seen battery diagnostics claim that a battery has failed, but it still works great. I've seen battery diagnostics claim a battery is fine, but much like yours, they clearly won't hold a charge. The IC in the battery is basically programmed with statistical models as opposed to any actual monitoring circuitry. Based on a sample size of X number of batteries, the company can be up to 99.7% confident that their model will be accurate and that's what they program those ICs and diagnostic programs around. The amount of power remaining in a battery is just a best guess, it's not uncommon for those values to have quite a bit of variance in them.

So long story short, all the empirical evidence is like a comic exaggeration of the giant flashing neon sign of a finger pointing directly at a specific conclusion. Clearly you don't want to accept this conclusion because you're desperately clinging to the fact that the diagnostic programs say something different, but the diagnostic programs are wrong in this case. The sooner you come to grips with this the sooner you can go out and get a new battery and move on or just take the battery out and run off of AC power all the time.

Collapse -
Ok
by qb4ever8 / December 28, 2013 7:07 PM PST
In reply to: No

You're probably right. I just wish there was a way to confirm that i need a new battery before actually buying one! Are you aware of any place i can possibly try out the battery first?

Collapse -
Re: battery
by Kees_B Forum moderator / December 28, 2013 7:10 PM PST
In reply to: Ok

Such a place would be a laptop or battery shop. I'm certainly aware of shops that sell laptops. But they might be 1000's of miles from where you live, and that wouldn't be practical.

Kees

Collapse -
It'd be both cheaper and easier
by Jimmy Greystone / December 28, 2013 9:49 PM PST

It'd be both cheaper and easier to just replace it. If it doesn't work, because it's the motherboard charging circuit that's bad rather than the battery, you can just take the battery back and worst case scenario is likely that you have some store credit somewhere because once they help you up off the ground from where you fell after hearing the quote for a new motherboard, you'll promptly turn around and start looking for a new laptop or say something like, "Screw this! I'll just use it on AC power!"

Collapse -
Try using it and running it down to ZERO...then retry
by VAPCMD / December 29, 2013 7:04 AM PST

charging. Nothing to lose at this point.

I had a similar problem with an HP Pavilion DV7.... been awhile since it happened and I'm not sure what finally fixed it...it wasn't reloading the SW

VAPCMD

Collapse -
Shuts down immediately
by qb4ever8 / December 31, 2013 2:04 AM PST

I can't use it untill it runs down to zero because when i unplug the adaptor, the laptop shuts off immediately, even if my battery says 10% available.

Collapse -
Bummer...guess I was lucky having both a 6 and 9 cell
by VAPCMD / December 31, 2013 3:45 AM PST
In reply to: Shuts down immediately

battery for my HP. Just wish I could remember the last thing I did before it started working like it should. Since that time...I haven't had any problems with either battery. I was looking for another battery when I finally got it working.

Keep us posted.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
Answer
Just do it...
by Willy / December 28, 2013 10:30 PM PST

You can play all you want but more often than not, its either your battery or adapter that needs replacing. You should check that the adapter plug-in is OK, not loose or somehow improper, because a broken solder land or cracked part will cause the same problem. However, batteries just don't last forever and if you had your battery over 18mos. and mainly used the adapter to keep the laptop going, then your adapter too got over-extended as the charging circuit can only do so much because it too craps out. An adapter provides a "tickle charge" to maintain battery life and then batteries generally drop-out and plainly die sooner or later. Check the pricing on both laptop battery and adapter for your model#, you may find cost isn't so bad, order both. Also, newer Li-ion type batteries have a small pcb(smart ckt) mounted on them, they too can go bad, but part of battery, replace.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
(NT) It can also be internal charge regulator gone bad
by James Denison / December 31, 2013 6:58 AM PST
In reply to: Just do it...
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.