General discussion

Laptop Battery Life

Hello everyone. My Laptop which i bought a few months came with a 8 cell li-ion battery which i dont use while using the laptop as it is connected throught the adapter to the power slot all the time.

What is the best way to keep that battery healthy ? I charged it once and since then dont keep it connected niether do i use it for now however I might have to use it later.

Should i keep recharging it once in a while ?? Also should it be taken off from the laptop while using it with adapter ?? What is the RIGHT way to secure its life.

Since its a new battery and i might have to use it in the future i am really concerned. Can you please advice ?? Thank You Happy

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Laptop Battery Life
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Laptop Battery Life
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
google notebook battery life, you'll find dozens of pages

with good information.

- Collapse -
You can

use the battery once every other month and recharge it. The voltage of any battery will drop overtime during storage. Keeping an empty battery is very bad and will result in dead cell. Ni-Mh battery usually needs to be charge more often than Li-ion because the voltage drops faster.

I believe most laptops have battery overcharged protection. The small charging light indicator usually will turn off or change color when the battery is fully charged. It's quite simple to check actually. If the adapter keep charging your battery even it's full, the battery will overheat. And it's really hot. If it's just cool or warm all the time, then you don't have to take out the battery.

If you do google search on how to protect battery, you maybe misled sometimes because many instructions are still based on NiCd or NiMH batteries. But they are all quite similar in theory except that LiIon batteries don't need to be fully discharged to keep it in optimum performance.

CNET Forums