Phones forum

General discussion

Language settings on Win Mobile 5 (Sharp W-ZERO) or OS swap

by Tien-Avenger / March 26, 2006 10:27 AM PST

I'm extreamly interested in purchaseing a Sharp W-ZERO3 Pocket PC / Smart Phone and just scrapping the Smart phone option and useing it solely as a PPC.

It runs a Japanese edition of MS Windows Mobile 5. I was wondering if anyone knows of any ways to change the language settings on Win Mobile 5 or if installing an english edition of Mobile 5 (if i can find it...) over the existing OS will work.

I'm currently useing a Dell Axim x30 running mobile 2003 that's served me well for the last two years and i've never seen a language setting for it to change the default to another. I've seen language packs but nothing that changes the entire OS over

Does anyone see any compatibility issues or anything? If i figure this out and actually get a Zero3 working and running an english edition of Win Mobile 5 and still retain all it's other robust features (1.3 megapixal digital camera, full QWERTY keyboard, WiFi, bluetooth to name a few) i'll happily export to anyone who wants one but first need to see if it's possible to.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Language settings on Win Mobile 5 (Sharp W-ZERO) or OS swap
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Language settings on Win Mobile 5 (Sharp W-ZERO) or OS swap
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You guessed it...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 26, 2006 10:41 AM PST

The language is in the OS "image". It's easy to understand why...

Bob

Collapse -
Please dont tell me....
by Tien-Avenger / March 26, 2006 10:48 AM PST
In reply to: You guessed it...

that OS swapping isnt possible...
::Bangs head on keyboard::

Still gonna buy one...who knows maybe my new hobby for the next 6 months is translateing and cracking every feature the lil shiney black brick (i'm aware it comes in silver too) has to offer.

Collapse -
If you can find the OS image and updater.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 26, 2006 9:24 PM PST

For most if not all pocket pc's I've seen the OS in flash memory. This is why it can be changed but also why you can't carry extra copies of the other languages. You would tax all owners to pay for the feature.

Happy hunting.

Bob

Collapse -
Not possible...
by John.Wilkinson / March 26, 2006 10:49 AM PST

Using the smartphone as purely a PDA is fine, but the language is not. There is no way of changing the language setting on Windows Mobile, nor is there a way of obtaining an English version of the OS. Unlike Windows for the PC, you cannot purchase it separately. Microsoft creates the base OS, but it's then customized by the PDA manufacturer and installed directly. Thus, if Sharp doesn't provide an English version, you're out of luck. Sad

Sorry.
John

Collapse -
D'OH!! what about...
by Tien-Avenger / March 26, 2006 11:09 AM PST
In reply to: Not possible...

Thanks for the information. you should have heard the combonation of profanities that followed shortly after i read your responce.

Do you forsee any compatibility issues other then language in support of 3rd party applications? such as Battery Pack Pro?

You guys got more experience. The way i see it it's still Windows Mobile 5 in Japanese with a few tweeks for Japanese consumers as well as drivers for the operation of the other features. At the core it's still the same OS so something like Battery Pack Pro should be able to take and function properly.

Collapse -
Shouldn't be a problem...
by John.Wilkinson / March 26, 2006 11:17 AM PST
In reply to: D'OH!! what about...

Some programs are designed for specific hardware, but aside from that Windows Mobile 5 is pretty much Windows Mobile 5. Language-wise, I wouldn't think there would be a problem, so as long as you can handle the Japanese interface (something I'd fail miserably with :)) you should be good to go.

Good luck
John

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!