Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Language barrier

by MarkatNite / November 30, 2004 12:18 PM PST

For those who don't know, I work at a hospital. Recently, an online friend asked me to check if an acquaintance of theirs was a patient here. No problem. I go Admissions, flash my hospital ID, and ask the Filipino lady at the desk, "Hi. I'm from Info Management. Can you check to see if we have a certain patient here?"

"Sure", she says. "What's the name?"

"Jones, Joaquin." {The real last name is actually not Jones; the name has been changed to protect the innocent.}

"First name?", she asks.

"Joaquin.", I repeat.

"I know, but what's the first name?"

***?! Then it dawns on me--I'm Abbott to her Costello...

"J-O-A-Q-U-I-N.", I spell.

"Sorry, there's no patient by that name."

So I "walk out" - Mark

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Language barrier
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Language barrier
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Language barrier
by Chorus-Line A1-QMS / November 30, 2004 1:56 PM PST
In reply to: Language barrier

Ask her this...

Meron ba ditong patiente nagngangalang Juaqin?
(Is there a patient here by the name of Joaquin?)

Unang pangalan?
(First name?)

Juaqin (pronounced as Huakin)
(Joaquin)

There is no J or Q in the filipino alphabet. The J and Q is a borrowed letter from the Spanish alphabet introduced by the Spaniards. J is pronounced with the sounding H. Juan will be Huan. Juan in English is translated as John.

"Sorry, there's no patient by that name.", she said.
Tell her this...
"Sigurado ka?" (means are you sure?) Sigurado is also a Spanish word.

If she said, "Nasisiguro ko" means I am very sure. Nasisiguro comes from Japanese root word.

You reply by saying...

"Maraming salamat" means "Thank you very much" Salamat here is also used by the Malays and Indonesian. But the root word of Salamat is an Arabic Language.

Tagalog is the main language of the Philippines. But there are about 36 other dialect spoken and many Filipinos cannot speak Tagalog. Wink

36 dialects are from different provinces. For example in Batangas where the Clark AirBase is located - they speak Batanganeo. In Bagiuo where the Subic Air Base is - they speak Ilocano from the province of Ilocos Norte. In Cebu, they speak Chabacano (combination of many Spanish words)and they are called Cebuano, Mindanao, the home of the Filipino Muslims, alot of the the language are combination of Arabic.... and the list goes on.

The people in Manila usually speak Taglish (English mix with Tagalog). Happy

The tagalog alphabet. http://www.omniglot.com/writing/tagalog.htm

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
Re: Language barrier
by Dragon / November 30, 2004 10:24 PM PST
In reply to: Re: Language barrier

I knew a guy with that name, though he pronounced it Wah-keen.

Collapse -
Sounds like a genealogy problem. Do you know how many
by Kiddpeat / November 30, 2004 2:47 PM PST
In reply to: Language barrier

different ways people spelled their names? Sometimes changing the spelling multiple times in the same document. Then, there's what the census taker thought the name was, and how it was spelled. Plus, the indexer trying to read the census taker's hand writing. It can add up to a tough nut to crack.

Collapse -
Name confusion
by David Evans / November 30, 2004 3:15 PM PST

There was a Chinese guy known as John McKinney once, and people asked him how a Chinese guy got to be named John McKinney.

He said that when he was in the line at Ellis Island, there were three people in front of him. The first guy was asked his name and said "I'm John McKinney." They processed him on through, asked the second guy his name, and he said "I have the same name! I'm John McKinney!" They asked the third guy his name and he said "What a coincidence, I have the same name too! I'm John McKinney!"

Then it was the Chinese guy's turn in the line. They asked his name, he sad "Sam Ting!" and, well you know...

DE

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) LOL LOL LOL
by Mark5019 / November 30, 2004 9:46 PM PST
In reply to: Name confusion
Collapse -
Groan.
by Kiddpeat / November 30, 2004 11:13 PM PST
In reply to: Name confusion
Wink
Collapse -
Sorry, I guess my attempt at humor was too obtuse.
by MarkatNite / November 30, 2004 3:26 PM PST

The joke is that, when spoken with a heavy Filipino accent, "walk-in"--as in, "He's a walk-in (patient)"--sounds very much like Joaquin. So when I was saying "Joaquin", she was hearing "walk-in".

Hilarity ensues... or not - Mark

Collapse -
Ahh, yet another way those names get changed. Mr. Walk-In I
by Kiddpeat / November 30, 2004 11:15 PM PST

presume. Wink

Collapse -
Re: Sorry, I guess my attempt at humor was too obtuse.
by Mac McMullen / December 1, 2004 3:47 AM PST

Ho Brah,

If dey no stay Local or Kama'aina, den Haole no can
understand da kine 'pipty cents gas' kine talk. Jus
went way over top errybodys head.

Bumbye....\m/

Collapse -
Re: Sorry, I guess my attempt at humor was too obtuse.
by Dragon / December 1, 2004 11:17 AM PST

Theres the story of a Mexican lady in the hospital. After she had her baby, the nurse asked what the baby's name was. She looked at the plastic bracelet on the baby and said "Female" (pronounced Feh MAH Leh)...

That was from an aunt of mine who was a nurse for at least 40 years.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?