Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Land of the Lost

by fido88 / January 23, 2006 11:34 PM PST

I am a newbie and have zero knowledge on computers, so i was wondering where i could go to read/net/to learn about the internet and computing in general. the only smart thin i've done is find this site..thanks.....

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Land of the Lost
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Land of the Lost
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Dead Tree
by joe_smith / January 23, 2006 11:52 PM PST
In reply to: Land of the Lost

Don't have any direct experience with them myself, but I understand O'Reilly Publishing's "Missing Manual" series to be pretty good at the whole gentle introduction thing.

Otherwise, it's largely hit and miss. There are sites like Cnet here, which caters to the technically illiterate middle management type, there's sites like Slashdot which cater more towards the technically literate and somewhat socially inept, and then there are plenty of sites that cater to the technically illiterate that are written by the technically illiterate, and as such full of errors and misconceptions. Since it's difficult for someone in your situation to be able to judge such sites, I'd recommend the dead tree (book) method for the time being.

Most books go through at least some level of editorial review by people familiar with the subject, so that means it's a safer bet trusting a book from a major publisher over a website that could have been thrown up by someone who knows less about computers than you.

Collapse -
Newbies
by byker49 / January 24, 2006 1:13 AM PST
In reply to: Land of the Lost

If you are really "new" to computers I would get to the library and or purchase one of the Computer for Dummies books. I am assuming you are using Windows so you may want to start with something like "Windows for Dummies".
These books are good to get your feet wet. I would avoid getting a real thick tech manual at this point. Just my 2 cents.

Collapse -
thanks for the advice
by fido88 / January 24, 2006 1:25 AM PST
In reply to: Newbies

appreciate/have windows xp for dummies from the library now......thanks to both of you for your kind help.......

Collapse -
After Passing Dummy...
by danthelanman / January 24, 2006 1:41 AM PST
In reply to: thanks for the advice

Another resource you might want to check out is the HP On-Line learning center.

http://h30187.www3.hp.com/

Loads of different classes (including XP) with associated forums and best of all it's free with registration. (Note: the offerings change periodically, check "classes not in session" to see all available classes)

Good Luck.

Collapse -
Also check out CNET's online courses
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / January 24, 2006 4:33 AM PST
In reply to: After Passing Dummy...

for beginners;
http://courses.help.com/

Although there are no courses available at the moment for beginners, CNET often have them and they are free, easy to follow and can be very useful.

Good luck.

Mark

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?